Night Owl Clone (sort of) from a noob - how does this recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinn

Reaction score
I am new to the homebrew world. I'll be using an Anvil Foundry (BIAB method). I'm trying to concoct a recipe that will produce a beer similar to the Elysian Night Owl. I like to be creative (at the risk of completely destroying the beer) so I didn't simply want to copy a clone recipe. I'm hoping you all can tell me how this recipe looks. Any alarm bells?

Marris Otter Pale 9lbs
Munich 10 Lovibond 2lbs
CaraHell .55
C-20 .55
C-45 .55
Special B .55
Rice Hulls .55
Magnum .5

I plan to add pumpkin puree throughout the process. In addition, I'll add these spices:

Ginger .20 tsp
Cinnamon .55 tsp
Nutmeg .15 tsp
Cloves .15 tsp
Allspice .15 tsp
Vanilla .20 tsp

* I'm trying to figure out when to add the spices. In the secondary, during the boil, or in the bottle?

In Palmer & Zainasheff's Brewing Classic Styles, they say to add two-thirds of the spices with a few minutes left in the boil, then add the last third after fermentation is complete (almost like a dry hop). That way, you can taste-test it every few days and package it when you have the level of spice you want.

I'm getting a hankering for pumpkin beer now. Might have to whip up a batch myself!

In Palmer & Zainasheff's Brewing Classic Styles, they say to add two-thirds of the spices with a few minutes left in the boil, then add the last third after fermentation is complete (almost like a dry hop). That way, you can taste-test it every few days and package it when you have the level of spice you want.

I'm getting a hankering for pumpkin beer now. Might have to whip up a batch myself!

Thanks. This might be a dumb question. But, to add it after fermentation is complete, would I just add it to the primary fermenter when fermentation is done. Taste it every couple of days. Then when it tastes right, put it in bottles? Or should I pick up a secondary fermenter, transfer it into there when fermentation is done, and add the spices?

Thanks. This might be a dumb question. But, to add it after fermentation is complete, would I just add it to the primary fermenter when fermentation is done. Taste it every couple of days. Then when it tastes right, put it in bottles? Or should I pick up a secondary fermenter, transfer it into there when fermentation is done, and add the spices?
I've never done it, but I would assume that leaving it in primary would be fine.

zinn: do you remember how this turned out? I see you have a couple other pumpkin beers on gear, and I’m curious what you thought of the different spice levels/methods.

Back