NHC - impatiently waiting Score Sheets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
First, congrats to any HBT members who placed at Nationals!!!

Anyone else impatiently awaiting the email with the score sheets? Did anyone get theirs already?

I was wondering the same thing. They said they would be e-mailed "immediately" after the awards, but I did not receive anything yet. Nothing in my "junk" e-mail either. So, I am guessing they have not been sent yet.

I was wondering the same thing. They said they would be e-mailed "immediately" after the awards, but I did not receive anything yet. Nothing in my "junk" e-mail either. So, I am guessing they have not been sent yet.
That makes me feel better. I lost my tracking number for my entrees originally and when I still didn’t get my score sheets by the morning I got nervous that maybe it never made it

dig in and settle back...
By July 12

Competition Scoresheets, Letters and Prizes
All entrants’ scoresheets emailed after Award Ceremony. Post-Competition Packages are delivered to your Brewer Profiles. All prizes and medals mailed out. Please allow up to 10 business days for your prize package to arrive.

Really no excuse for scoresheets not to be out already. There was no "final round judging at Homebrew Con", so judging was done long before the awards show, so they should have had scoresheets set up in their computer system to mail out Saturday night.

Really no excuse for scoresheets not to be out already. There was no "final round judging at Homebrew Con", so judging was done long before the awards show, so they should have had scoresheets set up in their computer system to mail out Saturday night.
I agree. I’m pretty annoyed about it as well as the competition was finished by may. They had a month and a half to prepare for the releasing of the score sheets

It's very disappointing. It's not like this came as a surprise to them. On another forum, the excuse given was about how busy they were with the awards presentation. Although I only caught about half, it seemed prerecorded.

It's very disappointing. It's not like this came as a surprise to them. On another forum, the excuse given was about how busy they were with the awards presentation. Although I only caught about half, it seemed prerecorded.
Yeah, I don't quite get it. First off, don't tell everyone they will be sent "immediately" if it isn't going to happen. Second, even if it is not "immediate"..... it could have been hours or a day later. And, if it is still not done at this point, at least have the courtesy to put out a quick e-mail to let people know what is up and when to expect. These are literally 30 second solutions.

Yeah, I don't quite get it. First off, don't tell everyone they will be sent "immediately" if it isn't going to happen. Second, even if it is not "immediate"..... it could have been hours or a day later. And, if it is still not done at this point, at least have the courtesy to put out a quick e-mail to let people know what is up and when to expect. These are literally 30 second solutions.
Yes, I agree. A quick progress update email can go a long way with situations like this. I've not seen this mentioned on their site and their forums seem quiet on this issue, as well.

Are people also waiting for medals/awards, or just scoresheets? The people who won awards know it already, the people who didn’t win know it already. I can understand if you won and you’re waiting for your medal. But what’s the rush to get a scoresheet back from a beer that didn’t place and read what a judge didn’t like about your beer?

Are people also waiting for medals/awards, or just scoresheets? The people who won awards know it already, the people who didn’t win know it already. I can understand if you won and you’re waiting for your medal. But what’s the rush to get a scoresheet back from a beer that didn’t place and read what a judge didn’t like about your beer?
It's not a rush so much as it is getting something you prepaid for ~3 months ago on the date it was promised to be delivered. AKA members holding the association they have joined accountable, as members should. The other thing of note is that it took the better part of two days to acknowledge the delay in sending out the scorecards. A timely effort to communicate this would have gone a long way in maintaining the trust.

I think mainly because everyone who entered was sent an e-mail that said the scoresheets/scores would be sent IMMEDIATELY following the awards ceremony.... which occurred 2 months after the beers were actually judged and scored. Apparently they had some "technical" problems sending the e-mails, which is fine, but then they also didn't bother simply announcing there was a delay - something they could have done with 10 seconds of effort on their part.
Also - if you medaled, you don't need your score sheet - you already know what it says. It is only those who did not medal that have something to possibly learn from their scoresheet.
In the end, it was more everyone wondering what was going on and no communication from the AHA on their missed deadline.

I would say that 80% of people send in beers they believe are good enough to medal, at least that’s why I enter competitions. So I’d like to know if the beer scored well, if it did then I know there was stiff competition, if it didn’t score well I know it’s time for reworking the recipe or improving packing techniques

Looking for the scoresheet here.. I didn't medal, and it wasn't really about that. For me it was about "unbiased" feedback on a beer that I and those around me feel is a really good beer. The fact that I paid ~$30(x2) plus shipping a 12 pack several months ago for the feedback, and that the judging has been done for a while certainly leads to some impatience.

I am sure the lack of numerical scoring really streamlines things on their end..... which I am ok with, especially in a competition like NHC. I liked some of the different aspects of the scoresheet and feedback seemed pretty good.

No medals here, but 3 of my 6 advanced, so it is good to know I had some inthe running at least. Dortmunder, Czech Pale Lager and Pale Kellerbier all advanced from their flight. I had thought those were my best 3 going in. Czech Dark lager had oxidation comments.... I thought that one was on par with the other 3 and might have had a chance as well. I knew my other two were mediocre/probably not good enough (Dark Mild and Helles) and the judges comments really pretty much mirrored my own impressions. So, overall pretty good confirmation with my own impressions of what I sent.

I am sure the lack of numerical scoring really streamlines things on their end..... which I am ok with, especially in a competition like NHC. I liked some of the different aspects of the scoresheet and feedback seemed pretty good.

No medals here, but 3 of my 6 advanced, so it is good to know I had some inthe running at least. Dortmunder, Czech Pale Lager and Pale Kellerbier all advanced from their flight. I had thought those were my best 3 going in. Czech Dark lager had oxidation comments.... I thought that one was on par with the other 3 and might have had a chance as well. I knew my other two were mediocre/probably not good enough (Dark Mild and Helles) and the judges comments really pretty much mirrored my own impressions. So, overall pretty good confirmation with my own impressions of what I sent.
That’s awesome. My Schwarzbier failed to advance but they picked up some acetaldihyde. My NZ Pilsner advanced to 3 rounds but failed to move on to the 4th and final round, so I’m excited about that and got some decent feedback.

My English mild that I didn’t care for at the time ending up advancing but no medal, which I didn’t expect anyways although the comments didn’t really contain bad feedback. Oh well. Next year lol.

Only entered an imperial stout; didn't advance anywhere. In a nutshell the 2 biggest comments were that it needed more roasted malt - which is a bit comical given how heavy handed I am with roasted malts in stouts - and that I need better fermentation control since the alcohol was too sharp. I have sufficient temperature control and yeast preparation, and gave it plenty of time to "clean up". My personal critique before I read anything from the judges is that it needs a more chewy body, which I feel will cover up the alcohol, so I'm changing the yeast based on a rec from a local brewer who tried it. Also going to enter at least 2 next year since IRS is very competitive, and I'm almost certainly going to go to it, so nice to have more than 1 shot.

For Those that did get feedback. Without a numerical score, can we roughly equate the stars as the traditional scores? With the x on the line closer to one or the other meaning a higher or lower score? The score sheets seem less useful than other comps.. also no feedback from anything but round 1 seems odd.

That’s awesome. My Schwarzbier failed to advance but they picked up some acetaldihyde. My NZ Pilsner advanced to 3 rounds but failed to move on to the 4th and final round, so I’m excited about that and got some decent feedback.

Pretty sure the 3rd round was the final round, otherwise the sheet would have said 3/4., So your beer was in the medal round.. if you read the revised Rules and Regulations https://cdn.homebrewersassociation....ew-Competition-Entrant-Handbook-2021-v2.1.pdf (AHA changed them after we all entered) page 11 explains the judging process...so your NZ Pilsner was in top 12. Congrats!

Last edited:
So my results were this year were opposite of what I expected, my Schwarzbier was eliminated in first round while my American Wheat was in medal round. That's 3 beers in last two Nationals that have been in medal round but can't break through. Had a Helles and a Czech Dark make Finals medal round in 2019. Close but no cigar...guess it's a little boost to morale though that I am right there.

For Those that did get feedback. Without a numerical score, can we roughly equate the stars as the traditional scores? With the x on the line closer to one or the other meaning a higher or lower score? The score sheets seem less useful than other comps.. also no feedback from anything but round 1 seems odd.

Well, here is the feedback I got.

So, tell, me----What was good and what was bad about my beer?

So much for detailed feedback.

Attachments

• NHC 2021 Judge Comments .pdf
    305.5 KB · Views: 79
Well, here is the feedback I got.

So, tell, me----What was good and what was bad about my beer?

Hmmm...what was good...seems like everything. It's not like NHC has ever been "feedback rich"...but the sheets this year were a real joke. I swear, because it was in Denver, without Homebrew Con attached to it, they did not get all the National and Grand Master brewing celebrity judges like they normally did...so they had to scour Colorado for judges and got a lot of lower level recognized and certified judges, but not enough to judge everything and to take their time...so they basically had judges take a sip and judge, then move on to next beer. Only 316 judges in CO per the BJCP site, so how many out of staters judged I wonder? It seems like that thad 500 judges for 5000+ entries.

Wow! That is the worst sheet I have seen. No flaws checked and not even a star rating. The "feedback" given by the checkmarks are just low quality info that anybody can give "copper color, light beige head, mostly clear, med-high malt, etc."

I am worried that the AHA really screwed themselves this year and this will damage the AHA and their membership for years to come. I am a member and proponent of the AHA (did not enter any beers this year). I am sure they are hurting financially from 2020 cancellations and pulling off a large competition with the uncertainties of COVID is a challenge, but you cannot charge your base a premium then screw them over with this shoddy of a competition.

So, I got a little more feedback than riceral, but not any of the "This is how you can do better" feedback, and none from round 2 or 3 which might have been nice.
I had kind of expected a score though as that might help hold up against other competition beers.
When looking into BJCP it seemed like feedback should come with some helpful advice. At ~$30/beer + AHA membership + shipping a 6 pack of each, seems like a little more feedback might be warranted. I get the shortage of judges, etc..

Attachments

• 2021-AHA-NHC-Comp.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Yeah, what "people"? The competition suggested there would be decent feedback.. So I'm supposed to go look at the yelp reviews first? It's run by the AHA.. one of the larger groups for homebrewers..

Yeah, what "people"? The competition suggested there would be decent feedback.. So I'm supposed to go look at the yelp reviews first? It's run by the AHA.. one of the larger groups for homebrewers..
I get your frustration and I also get the pressures placed on the judges. I personally really wish they would give scores as thats a quantifiable standard, especially as we competitive homebrewers are very familiar with the 50 point system. I think it’s more about hating the game than the player (judges in this instance). But like the post said some judges took the easy route which is the issue.

Last edited:
Back