Next step for fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbymedic

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want your feedback to see what's the best next step (with considerations to finances). Right now, I have a kegerator that's not being used as such. Currently, I have a cream ale fermenting in there.
So my question is should I return that kegerator to being a kegerator and spend a lot of money on a new fermenter (something like a ssbrewtech chronical or something) or should I leave that kegerator as a fermentation chamber and then just buy a new chest freezer to make into a new kegerator. How much does ambient air temperature effect the temp of the fermenting beer (as opposed to some fancy in-fermenter chilling setup like the brewmaster chronical).
Here's the difference in these decisions:
- Keep kegerator a kegerator and buy one 14 gallon brewmaster chronical with chilling system for around $1000
- Buy new chest freezer and convert to kegerator and keep the other chest freezer as a fermentation chamber and be able to ferment 3-4 5 gallon carboys at a time.

Thoughts?

i'd get a used fridge for a fermentation chamber.....use the kegerator as a kegerator......$1000 seems like a lot to spend on beer..... :mug:

It really depends on what your priorities are and how much money you want spend. Being able to ferment 3-4 (5) gallon batches at a time might be kind of nice. Gives you some great flexibility. But you're still spending money there too, you know? If it were me, I'd go the fermenter and chilling system. I like new brewing equipment though and love not lugging fermenters in and out of a chest freezer.

Look at the benefits and disadvantages. Does one of those options eliminate a task you HATE doing? For example, I absolutely HATED going to the grocery store and buying 10-15 gallons of distilled water every time we brewed. So, we got an RO system installed so we don't have to do that.

Back