Next recipe...any words of wisdom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
My next two will be warm weather beers after my tripel finishes fermenting out. Im going to make a Patersbier and an American Wheat. First on the agenda...Patersbier.

Name: Exaltation 4

9.40 Lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt (89.42%)
0.74 Lbs White Wheat Malt (7.06%)
0.37 Lbs Acidulated Malt (3.53%)

0.60 Oz Perle for 60 Mins
1.00 Oz Saaz for 5 Mins

Wyeast #1388 Belgian Strong Ale

90 Minute boil
90 Minute mash @ 147 degrees
65% efficiency
5.50 gallons

OG 1.045
FG 1.008
SRM 3.9
ABV 4.82%
IBU 18.1

Sounds delicious to me. Are you adding the acid malt to correct the pH, or are you trying to get some tartness?

Ive had good luck with small amounts of Acidulated Malt helping me in low temp mashes. Plus, I think small doses add just a bit of crisp tartness...its my "secret weapon." I want to give a Berliner Weiss a shot this summer and use 8% Acidulated Malt, but Im a bit fearful to get it up that high...

Oldsock said:
Sounds delicious to me. Are you adding the acid malt to correct the pH, or are you trying to get some tartness?

Oldsock, you think the 1388 and 3.5 percent acid malt is about right for a crisp trace amount of tartness?

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

I'm not a big acid malt user, but I think the beer will be plenty crisp with the low-ish mash temp and no crystal malt.

Ithaca brewing uses ~13% acid malt in Brute, so it certainly can work. My only concern would be dropping the mash pH too low. With Brute they are looking to make an unfermentable wort to give the Brett dexrins to chew on. It might be worth waiting to add the acid malt after the rest of the mash is converted.

You say low-ish. How low would you be comfortable with in a single infusion mash? I'm curious because I have an interest in pushing low mash temps to the limit in the future!

You say low-ish. How low would you be comfortable with in a single infusion mash? I'm curious because I have an interest in pushing low mash temps to the limit in the future!

I've been told Pretty Things mashes their saison Jack d'Or at 142 F, not sure how long that would take to convert (you might even need to add some hot water after an hour to boost it back up again).

I just had a Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits last night. Too hoppy for my taste in tripels and it had that funky "hot dog" phenolic that I hate in some wits. I'd like to try some more of their stuff.

I just had a Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits last night. Too hoppy for my taste in tripels and it had that funky "hot dog" phenolic that I hate in some wits. I'd like to try some more of their stuff.

They use T-58 for a lot of their beers because they don't have a lab (being gypsy brewers) but for the saison they also blend in some liquid cultures. I really like them, for the most part their beer is great (especially for the relatively cheap price).

Back