Next project - Home Built Gas Manifolds from Scratch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZCyclone

Reaction score
So I've taken a little time over the last few days to machine up some hand built gas manifolds. I'm making 4 here, one for my beer manifold, one for my soda manifold, one for a friend and one hopefully to sell. I didn't set out to make one to sell, but had enough stock left over too and I figured why the hell not.

So I'm using 1.5" Al roundbar that is cut to 10 inches long. First they are chucked up in the lathe squared and descaled. Then line bored to provide the gas chamber. Then both ends were bored for a 3/8" NPT Tap. They were tapped and called done on the lathe. Next they got decked on the lathe and I took off an 1/8" from three sides. I left one side rounded because I think it gives it a neat look. Something that makes mine clearly not some mass market jobber.

From there they were drawn out for the bore spacing and drilled and tapped. The one for my soda system I'm designing uses 1/8NPT fittings and the beer system uses 1/4 gear.

I broke off a tap in one of them. Turns out I was sold the wrong kind of tap, so after I got the new one it was smooth sailing. 48 holes drilled and tapped.

After they were cut they were washed and given a nice brushed finish. You can see the pic of this operation on my kitchen counter. lol

Now, I have been taking some time to set up some plating and Anodizing lines so I can get these parts finished off proper. I think these manifolds will get a bright orange finish. So far I can anodize and dye with two oranges a yellow, a purple, black, green, grey, red, and one I've forgotten.

I also took some time to set up both a chrome plating line and a nickle plating line. There's a copper line built too, but not 100% ready yet.

You can see in the pics below my 36" deep rod plating tank, in this pic it has a rifle barrel in it, but it will do about anything in that shape. I took and polished and plated the end of a copper pipe just for the hell of it, and damn does it look nice!

More pics soon to come!

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1701.jpg

IMAG1731.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1760.jpg

IMAG1763.jpg

Awesome work, I wish I had the equipment and skills to make something like that from scratch. The three flattened sides is a nice touch. What are you planning to use to attach the CO2 lines to the manifold? I ask because the small check/ball valves are expensive to purchase separately.

I didn't get the manifolds anodized yet, but the fiance's family is coming over for dinner tomorrow night so I better be able to push some brew with the good old Iowa Pork Tenderloins I'm making. So I threw plugs into most of the holes and rigged it up to get some pushing done.

IMAG1777.jpg

Great work.

I wish I lived closer so you could anodize my heat sinks. :mug:

In the grad scheme of things, you are pretty close. Only a state away.

ha. Don't think that didn't cross my mind. Also, my wife when to Ames and if I could convince her she wants visit. :cross:

Been working in the shop all day plating some parts, took all day to get the gun parts done. The manifold is in the anodizing tank now. I'm not sure if it's going to work thought, I think my Al saturation went to high cause of a screw up on my part. If it works, you will have some fun pics in a few hours.

The manifold is in the anodizing tank now. I'm not sure if it's going to work thought, I think my Al saturation went too high cause of a screw up on my part.

^This, sadly this. So the last attempt was a big fail, which sucks because it takes 2 hours to find out it was a wasted two hours. So I ordered up enough acid to not only make a fresh acid bath for the current setup, but to increase the tank size to 20 gallons. Also am building the new plating lines (Nickel, Chrome, and Cobalt) for brewing gear like the mill parts etc. So even though I have the acid, the shop is a mess due to moving stuff around to facilitate the new systems. And as I am in a blizzard this weekend, Im stuck at the house and working on my bar build here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/its-time-my-bar-build-510158/

But I have been playing with the laser and some other new toys. Also, I had to take time for a trip up north to buy 5 new kegs for my new bar, bringing total to 7.

Playing with the LASER

IMAG1847.jpg

The manifold is in the anodizing tank now. If it works, you will have some fun pics in a few hours.

So, here 23 days later I finally have some parts. Although, admittedly, they didn't come out exactly how I wanted they are ready to put together and get into the new keezer I'm building.

Sadly I'm a little rusty, I need to get my bearings back in the anodizing lab. Give me a few weeks and I will be back on top. lol.

IMAG1879.jpg

Back