Next Batch Ideas with Octoberfest Ale Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspringstead

Reaction score
I currently have EdWort’s Octoberfest Ale in the primary at week 3. I used wyeast koslch yeast and was looking to make the next beer so I can put it on top of the yeast cake. I was looking to make a beer using honey that my parents get from their bee’s since they are now collecting a batch. Was looking at something like NB honey kolsch recipe.

That is a darker beer to lighter beer for the yeast cake which may lead to off tastes right? Better to wash yeast and make a starter, which is what I normally do. Just looking for other ideas.

I ferment in my basement without temp control, where it is currently about 66-67 F, and should linger there for the next month or two.

That is a darker beer to lighter beer for the yeast cake which may lead to off tastes right? Better to wash yeast and make a starter, which is what I normally do. Just looking for other ideas.

I wouldn't think that a pint of "darker" beer in let's say 5 gallons of lighter beer is going to be noticeable. At all.

You're bigger problem is over-pitching.

For detailed information: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

When I do this, I typically throw out about (read "at least") half of the yeast cake to avoid this problem.

ok so I'm thinking I'll wash the yeast and repitch into a honey wheat or American wheat bear for a quick Labor day/ SWMBO's bday beer for guest

Back