Newcastle Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Whedo

Reaction score
My wife just returned from the grocery store.

She brought me a sixer of Nukey Brown. I used to love this stuff, but haven't had it for decades.

I noticed the brown bottles and high sided carrier. Good deal!

I cracked one open and took a sip... That's not Nukey Brown! It's good, but it's not Nukey Brown. I don't remember the roastyness of the malt grain. The hops are different and more forward. It used to be sweet rich malt with a hint of hops. It used to be extremely smooth... almost to the point of blandness. This stuff I'm drinking now is good, don't get me wrong.

The label says it's brewed in Cali and Illinois. Big changes that caught me by surprise.

If someone was looking for something very similar to the original Newcastle Brown Ale, what would you suggest?

P.S. : I couldn't find a forum that said "Post your commercial brew questions here". I hope this is an OK place to post.

My wife just returned from the grocery store.

She brought me a sixer of Nukey Brown. I used to love this stuff, but haven't had it for decades.

I noticed the brown bottles and high sided carrier. Good deal!

I cracked one open and took a sip... That's not Nukey Brown! It's good, but it's not Nukey Brown. I don't remember the roastyness of the malt grain. The hops are different and more forward. It used to be sweet rich malt with a hint of hops. It used to be extremely smooth... almost to the point of blandness. This stuff I'm drinking now is good, don't get me wrong.

The label says it's brewed in Cali and Illinois. Big changes that caught me by surprise.

If someone was looking for something very similar to the original Newcastle Brown Ale, what would you suggest?

P.S. : I couldn't find a forum that said "Post your commercial brew questions here". I hope this is an OK place to post.

I haven't had one in years but I heard they stopped brewing with sugar. So they're probably making up the color lost from dark invert syrup and/or caramel coloring with black malt or something else roasty. My guess anyway....

Yes, Sir. Ive tried it. A very good brew, but strong and rich. Not at all like Newcastle Brown used to be.

That's a shame. I loved Newcastle. but haven't had one in probably 10 years. I do remember the sweetness being a great feature.

Been a long time since I've had a Nuke, probably when it was still imported and in the clear bottles. I think it's contract brewed by Lagunitas in the US.

Loves me some Moose Drool, though.

Back