Newcastle brown ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejg700

Reaction score
I love Newcastle brown ale! It is by far one of my favorite commercial brews. I recently brewed Midwest brew supplies clone, Oldcastle, and I think it's even better than the original! My only problem with both the real thing, and the clone is I like a beer with a little more malt favoring. I was thinking about adding one pound of light Munich. I Know that traditionally, English brown ales don't typically include Munich malts in the grain bill. Would adding adding a Munich malt deviate too much from the traditional style of a brown ale? Any advice wold be greatly appreciated.

It would, but I would say screw it and try it out! Thats what I would do. Theres a million brown ales out there, but you might find something totally new and awesome.

It depends if you want just a good tasting beer, or a good tasting beer that is to style. If you aren't entering it into any competitions, then style only matters as much as you want it to.

Like the last couple posters said, it really depends on what your goals are.

If you want to brew something to win competitions with, then you have to be to-style. Now, that doesn't mean your nut browns can't have any Munich in them -- but in my experience, the judges do go by how good an example of the style they think your beer is, rather than how much they personally like it.

On the other hand, if you're like me and don't care about that stuff, then I say do whatever you want, and who cares if beer judges like it or not. You're the one who's going to drink most of it, right?

One of main reasons I started brewing was because it would allow me to do exactly the sort of think you're talking about. Don't worry about style and just make what you think will taste great.

Good luck!

I'm curious about how this beer came out? I am about to do a American Brown Ale with extract and want to try the Munich LME from MoreBeer. Was it overly malty?

Back