Newby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomatoJuice86

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this as I just brewed my first pale ale. I ordered it as a kit. It's fun so far but I've been wondering is it more economical to buy some ingredients in bulk? If so which ones? I'm looking to make beer wine and cider by the summer. Also wondering if it's okay to use the same equipment for everything? Thanks in advance

If you are going to do beer, wines and cider. I would wait and determine how often you would brew beer.

Yes you will save money by buying in bulk, but you really don't want it sitting around for years. That said, because of fixing up a house for sale and a move, I had a disruption to my brew schedule and now have a lot of ingredients that are a few years old. They have been well stored and are still good.

I use the same equipment for my beers, wines, and ciders. The one thing that I believe must be kept separate is if you brew sour beers.

You can buy your ingredients in bulk but its a matter of proper storage or you will end up wasting a lot of money. Look into reusing yeast it saves a good bit of money. Hops get much much cheaper when you buy towards the half pound to pound range and you can vacuum seal and toss the rest in the freezer. Kits and extracts are also more expensive than all grain but get into the hobby first and see how you like brewing before you upgrade

What kind of beer you will be brewing, how often you will brew, how far away is your LHBS, and how big of batches all go into the decision on whether to keep on buying kits or if buying in bulk is a good idea. Tell us more about each factor.

Back