Newby needs advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majohnson4350

Reaction score
I'm brand new at winemaking. I just started with wild grapes and a purchased kit for 5-6 gal. Have stumbled along the way and may need help or to start over. I spent 20+ hours picking wild grapes so really don't want to begin again... ; - (

Here is what I am/have done to date:

I don't know where to turn. I'm a first time winemaker 2013. I started with a purchased kit and 5+ gallons of picked wild grapes(26.8 pounds per the scale. I started the bucket adding about 3 gal spring water and 14 pounds of sugar plus 9 camden tablets per recipe for 6 gal of wine. Also 30 drops of pectic. Started 9/22/13 at 12:00 pm. Hydrometer read 1.102. Added Lalvin wine yeast 24 hrs later. Waited and on 9/24 nothing seemed to be happening. Stirred all every 4-6 hours. I had left the top on this whole time since I thought that was to be done. Not seeing bubbles I thought fermentation wasn't happening so searched the Internet for reasons. Read I shouldn't have covered until camden had dissipated. I removed the top and let air-out for 24 hrs. Temperature in my basement is 68.8 degrees so that looks okay. Added a second pkg of yeast yesterday at 10 am and this morning the top is covered with skins/debris for the first time. Don't see any foaming. I'm not sure what to do next...just wait another day? Should I do another hydrometer reading? Any help? Any ideas?

Thanks for any guidance...

Update 9/26 2:30 pm - Just used hydrometer and it now reads 1.115 or right at 15% level. Shouldn't it be moving the other direction? It's floating higher than on 9/22... Guess I'll check tomorrow... Tomorrow is here(9/27) and must(?) is floating on top but still no foaming...

Stir it up well, and check the SG again tomorrow.

If you used 9 campden tablets in a 6 gallon batch (I think that's what you said), you may have a slow start as that's 3 more than most people would use. Even so, just stir it up to break and the cap and help the s02 dissipate and it should get going.

Thanks! Too many recipes on the Internet. The one I chose said 1 1/2 per gallon so I did. Saw some at 1 per... Most say 5-7 days transfer/rack into my carboy. Can I leave it for 2 weeks or will it go bad? I am just so nervous with my first batch... ; - (

@Yooper... Thanks for your reply! It is now 9/30 am and the bucket was almost overflowing this morning!! It is making wine!!!!! I started a gal of apple cider yesterday and it has bubbles too!!! Now if I don't screw it up and I learn to have patience!!! Thank you again for answering and restoring my faith!!!!!

Mark

Back