Newby Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutlawJosey

Reaction score
Ok, I started with the following, variation of the 5 day sweet cider, this juice was very cloudy and very sweet. I like scrumpy or unfiltered style less carbonated ciders. Not that I don't like others.

3/18/2012 AM 72 degrees room temp
4 gal organic pear juice (fresh pressed no sugar added)
1/2lb wildflower honey
1 1/4lb brown sugar
Red Star dry wine yeast

SG 1.075
pitched yeast 3/18/2012 PM 74 degrees room temp, fermentation process temp was around 70-72 degrees, would fluctuate slightly.

Let it ferment in 6 gal carboy for 3 days, checked it tonight to start the next process and it current gravity is .990...way to dry. Yes I checked it 3 times to make sure that was the reading :(

What I am going for is a semi-still semi-sweet (medium) unfiltered cider.

So what are my options for saving this and making it drinkable? As I see it, to save I can do the following; but I think I want to solicit the options of those far more knowledgeable than I...

1. Rack off into another carboy to prepare for bottling

2. Since there is still fermentation going on use Potassium Sorbate to kill the remaining yeast

3. Back sweeten to taste.

4. Bottle and pasteurize for storage and aging.

5. Sample to see when ready for primetime.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

I'd say put it into another carboy and stick it in the coldest part of your home. Leave it for 2-3 months and then break it out and decide what to do with it. With that high of an OG, I'm thinking it's going to need some age.

With that much attenuation and ABV...you're into wine territory. I'd throw "5 day cider" out the window and let it mellow.

Thanks Pickled Pepper for your guidance.

I will most likely move this to some 1 gal carboys that I have and put them in the pantry were it is very cool.

Except for the fact that it was very dry and made your eyes cross after a few sips it still had a really nice fresh pear flavor. It just didn't carry the flavor on, no after taste of the fruit at all.

I want this one to work out. I have thought about blending it with some apple cider and some mead that I have going once they are ready...in small batches tho :)

I agree with Pickled_Peppers, although I would definitely give this same recipe a second chance and just take a gravity reading in about 1/3 and 1/2 of the time you did - and attempt to acheive the original results you wanted. Your SG is only "high" when compared to your FG, which makes it a rough 9%+ cider. Cool and all with some age - but try it again. I'd like to see this Perry/Graff...I'll call it a Praff for good measure....work.

From 1.075 to below 1.000 in 3 days. Daaaaaang.

You could also sorbate it and backsweeten with more pear juice. That will dilute down the alcohol a bit and sweeten it up for you all in one shot. The sorbate should keep it from restarting fermentation should you decide to store out in a warmer location

Add some campden tablets as well to help with preservation

I agree with Pickled_Peppers, although I would definitely give this same recipe a second chance and just take a gravity reading in about 1/3 and 1/2 of the time you did - and attempt to acheive the original results you wanted. Your SG is only "high" when compared to your FG, which makes it a rough 9%+ cider. Cool and all with some age - but try it again. I'd like to see this Perry/Graff...I'll call it a Praff for good measure....work.

From 1.075 to below 1.000 in 3 days. Daaaaaang.

Thanks NineMilBill. Yes I was a bit concerned when it started because it seemed very slow but I had patience and by the second day it looked like it was almost boiling...should have suspected something at that point. But in all honesty I had no real idea how this combination of yeast, natural sugars (the juice could have qualified as syrup it was so sweet), honey and brown sugar would react. I do have to say that the honey gives is a unique flavor and the brown sugar only adds to it. I don't want to give up on it...the pear juice was rather expensive ($16/gal) but I love it, may need to look for other more reasonable sources for it in the future. I do plan to try this one again, but I will be slightly more sensible and break it down to 1 gal batches.

The gravity change was staggering...literally :). Sorry hate it when I think I'm funny.

Anyway thanks again for the advice. I will continue to post up the journal on this experiment.

You could also sorbate it and backsweeten with more pear juice. That will dilute down the alcohol a bit and sweeten it up for you all in one shot. The sorbate should keep it from restarting fermentation should you decide to store out in a warmer location

Add some campden tablets as well to help with preservation

Thanks divi2323. After some thinking and leaving it alone last night (of course this was after a panicked trip to the local brewing store for supplies). I don't have to do just one thing with it. I think I'm going to split this up. I have sterilized everything and the kitchen sink last night to get ready to bottle and brew today.

So here is my plan

1 Rack off a portion to a 1 gal carboys, move it to the pantry to let it ride out.

2 Back sweeten the remaining, and bottle it and age.

We'll see where this leads. I'm always a student of something. Wish me luck :)

Getting ready to make my first batch of cider after 4 successful batches of beer. I'm dying to know the outcome of this one!

Back