Newb's budding interest in water chemistry... help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torrefaction

Reaction score
Hi there,
Now that I’ve got a few AG batches under my belt (literally), I’d like to start looking at water chemistry. I’m going to continue focusing on IPAs and dry oatmeal stouts (currently my two favorite beer styles) for at least my next few batches while I get a handle on ingredients and learn to master my system. I’ve been using 5.2 ph stabilizer in the mash and sparge but have come across a few posts that suggest that this product is not, in fact, a one step cure-all for all water profiles for all beer style (ha ha). I would love for some kind generous soul(s) to point me in the right direction: what, in general, should I be doing to my mash and sparge water given the following numbers, which I obtained from Montreal’s most recent drinking water report:

(average values)
Calcium: 30 mg/l
Magnesium: 8 mg/l
Sodium: 14 mg/l
Chloride: 26 mg/l
Sulfate: 24 mg/l
Alkalinity: 88 ppm as CaC03
pH: 7.7

What flavors/results would you expect to see brewing IPAs and stouts using the above profile without any additions? I appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Thanks and cheers! :)

I think the flavor would be just fine, might want some gypsum for an IPA. What you want to focus on is your alkalinity since that will impact your mash pH. Throw out the 5.2 and get familiar with Brun water. Read the water chemistry primer sticky. You will probably need acid additions to lower your IPA mash to 5.4, but a stout could be within range depending on the grain bill. I try to target 5.3-5.5 for mash pH. You will also want to treat your sparge water as well which Brun water can help you with.

I would also add you will need a pH meter to measure your pH of your mash. Doesn't have to be super expensive but don't go super cheap either. I've used a Hanna with good results. A pH meter between 30 and 50 bucks is plenty accurate. Like stated above you may need some acid additions after you initially mash in to get your pH in the range. You have pretty good water for both IPAs and Stouts, you may not need any acid for a darker beer because your alkalinity isn't too high(which is good)

If you haven't already, download the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. It's free and is a great introduction to water chemistry.

No, it most probably isn't. You will need to spend a bit over $100 to get one of the meters (Hach, Omega, Milwaukee) that most here agree are sufficiently stable (accurate). See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=302256

This is mine at 75 buck on Amazon is over what I stated (can't always remember what I paid 3 years ago) but is Hach and I think it's fine. Let me know if I'm wrong:

Hanna Instruments HI98127B pH/Temp Test Kit

Back