Newbie with brew kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmellthat

Reaction score
Heya all, sorry to bother all of you but this newbie has a question on brew kettles. I figured I'd get things ready to brew my first batch, seeing as though I have a day off. Everything was fine equipment wise until I found out that all my pots in the house won't fit anything close to a partial-boil, yet alone a full boil. Do you folks have any preference brand-wise for a kettle that could hold 5 gallons? Nothing fancy or anything, just a simple pot that could be used for home brewing...or if that fails as something to make a big batch of stew or wear as a helmet.

Go buy yourself a turkey fryer kit with a propane burner and a 7 gallon SS/Aluminum pot - usually they are running about $50-70 this time of year. Brand doesn't matter as far as I am concerned.

go as big as you can afford. If you spring for ss, go for anything with a thicker bottom to prevent scorching. Blichman is good stuff though comes at a cost.

I second the turkey fryer comment. Even if you eventually go bigger you can us it as a hot liquor tank.

Back