Newbie with 3 general ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbaker

Reaction score
I've brewed two batches and just tasted my first! It was a "Teddy" Porter, the taste was suprisingly great. We even did the Pepsi challenge with the Old Tadcaster. Again, tasted great, however there was barely any carbonation which seemed to be the only characteristic lacking, thus no head either... This was a 5 gallon extract recipe that probably wound up being 5.5 to 5.75 gallons in the fermentor. It has been 3 weeks in the bottle to date.

1st quesiton: What could cause the lack of carbonation? I unfortunately soaked the bottles with a light bleach solution for a day, then washed them out with dish soap-water, and then finally sanitized with Star San (caught on a little late) just prior to bottling.

2nd question: We took the OG reading after we pitched the yeast. What differnce would this make, if any? Levels taken were OG 1.068 and FG (with priming sugar) 1.015.

3rd question: I will be bottling my second brew, a X-Mas Ale, tomorrow afternoon. It fermented in a glass carboy (maiden voyage) and we'll be racking to a polycarbonate bucket for bottling. I have an "auto" siphon which I'm not sure if it should be siting on the bottom while transferring, or if I should leave it suspended an inch or so off the traub. I just want to make sure I get enough yeast in the bottles to ensure that issue of carbonation. Suggestions?

Long post, sorry, and thank you all greatly,

Brewbaker

To answer #1, we need to know how you primed. What did you use for priming? How long ago did you bottle? What temps have the bottled been held at?

Question #2- It should not make a difference in the reading if you checked it after pitchinng the yeast.

Question #3 - I would suspend the auto siphon above the trub. There should be an adequate amount of yeast in suspension for carbonation. I suppose that if you are feeling nervous you could siphon some towards the end but everything I have read and done has indicated that it is not needed.

Carbed bottles need to be 70 degrees or so or it will take longer to get adequate carbonation. What was your recipe??

Primed with 3/4 cup dextrose dissolved in 16 oz. I poured this into the sanitized bottling bucket then racked the beer into it. I bottled on 11/12 and stored them in a large plastic "tote" type container in the garage. Temps have probably ranged between the low 60s at night and low to mid 70s during the day.

The recipe: Shrine of the Brew God's "Teddy's" Porter

Steeping: Black Patent, Chocolate, Crystal
6 lbs Amber DME and Belgian Candi Sugar
60 min Kent Goldings 1.5 oz
30 min Fuggle 1 oz
15 min Irish Moss
5 min Kent Goldings .5 oz
WL Irish Ale liquid yeast

Bottled after 14 days.

Hope this info helps and I truly appreciate your responses.

The temp in the bottles might not rise during the day when it is warmer. At 60 degrees it is a bit cool. I have found that it is nice and warm on top of my refrigerator. Put 6 of them up there for a few days and see if there is a difference.You might turn them upside down beforehand as well to get the yeast into solution.

My last batch bottled did the same thing with no carbonation after 3 weeks. I left them alone for an additional 2 weeks (worrying the whole time) and then tried one and it had good carbonation. So give it another few weeks and try them again.

I had the same problem with my first cider. I swirled the bottles to get the settled yeast back up and put the cases in front of a small ceramic disc heater on low and within a week, they were carbed perfectly.

It's good to hear that not all is lost. I'll bring about half inside the house to see any difference and test the other half with more time in the garage. I'm still pretty hopeful, as the glass is always half-full!

Back