Newbie Question about Krausen Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
I know there's probably nothing to worry about, but just outta of curiosity I figure I'll ask since I won't be the first to ask. Fermenting a Premium English Bitter and it's going on 3 days now. Used plug hops and left some in the fermenter. The Krausen formed well, everything looks good. Hops in krausen look like corn chips, except there's one or two small spots on what's probably some of the hops in there that look like they're greenish-blue. Wasn't there yesterday. Is it just some of the late addition hops (added at 10 min)?
Even if it's mold I'm going to bottle it so, I'm just wondering....

Figure it will be. Just curious. Especially since it formed after the Krausen formed. So the yeast should've beat anything out.

Hard to imagine with the fermentation process going full blast like that, that there is anything bad that could get in there. Just keep close tabs on what's going on. Good luck.

NRS

Back