Newbie needs help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erika9165

Reaction score
48CA9124-2FB5-49F4-9700-9F680B9C882B.jpeg 8CF09041-7B2C-4CD8-A39B-A721164FCD9F.jpeg Hello all. This is only my second batch, but I don’t know how to proceed. I started this 24 hours ago. The first picture is at 12 hours, the second at 22 hours. It is a apple cranberry mix. Do I throw it out and start over? Extremely new to this, and hoping to get some great help!

View attachment 578284 View attachment 578285 Hello all. This is only my second batch, but I don’t know how to proceed. I started this 24 hours ago. The first picture is at 12 hours, the second at 22 hours. It is a apple cranberry mix. Do I throw it out and start over? Extremely new to this, and hoping to get some great help!
Looks fine for 1gal batch....it will recede!

I’m also relatively new but I’ve made wines and ciders and beers off all batches from 750ml to 5 gals. It looks like you started that batch without enough head space. The yeast multiplies and gets like how it is in the picture, if you don’t put a blow off tube (basically an airlock but instead you put a tube where the airlock would be, and the other end in cup or jar of sanitizer or vodka or anything clean) This will allow the yeast to rise. Otherwise you’ll get yeast in the airlock, which will block co2 from escaping, and the vessel will pressurize.

Fix: Blow off tube (tube diameter: size of the 1gal mouth or size of the airlock hole)

Back