Newbie Kegerator Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
SWMBO wants to buy me a kegerator for Christmas. While I could try and build a keezer, we've got 2 kids and not a whole lot of free time.

I've been looking at this one below, but have some questions.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...rator-stainless-steel/4223500.p?skuId=4223500

• How common are Slim Pony Kegs that I can easily buy 2 - 3 of them?
  • As the above kegs hold 7.5 gallons, will I need to scale up my batches, or can I put 5 gallons in without worry of having too much headspace?
  • Will I need a second C02 tank for the purpose of carbing before I hook up the kegs in the kegerator?
  • Is there a problem keeping it in my garage year round? It's not heated and we live in Northern Michigan, so it can get pretty cold in there.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

SWMBO wants to buy me a kegerator for Christmas. While I could try and build a keezer, we've got 2 kids and not a whole lot of free time.

I've been looking at this one below, but have some questions.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...rator-stainless-steel/4223500.p?skuId=4223500

• How common are Slim Pony Kegs that I can easily buy 2 - 3 of them?
  • As the above kegs hold 7.5 gallons, will I need to scale up my batches, or can I put 5 gallons in without worry of having too much headspace?
  • Will I need a second C02 tank for the purpose of carbing before I hook up the kegs in the kegerator?
  • Is there a problem keeping it in my garage year round? It's not heated and we live in Northern Michigan, so it can get pretty cold in there.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

First question is, is this for homebrew or to buy commercial kegs to tap?
1. I believe slim pony kegs are a little larger than your normal corny keg. Corny kegs are what most homebrewers use. If you are using this for commercial kegs, you should be good to go. If you're using this for homebrew, you'll want to buy some corny kegs (ball lock or pin lock are available, my recommended choice is ball lock). Also, if this is for homebrew then you'll need to get a different coupler (the part that connects to the keg). The ones pictured are K Couplers, you'd need to look for ball lock quick disconnects or pin lock quick disconnects, depending on which keg you go with.
2. Don't worry about headspace for your keg. I usually put 3.5-4 gallons in my 5 gallon corny kegs.
3. The CO2 tank that it comes with is fine, however you'll want to look into getting a dual regulator. This will allow you to have two kegs sitting on gas at the same PSI. The regulator (the thing that is attached to the tank) is a single regulator, which will only allow one keg to be on gas. Which after time a keg could lose its carb. Ideally you'll be carbing the kegs in the cooler. CO2 is absorbed better at cooler temps and takes less time to carb up at cooler temps.
4. I would highly recommend keeping this kegerator indoors but you could chance it letting it sit in your garage.

Another recommendation - get all stainless steel contact faucets.

My total build for my keezer is going to be about ~676 once its all said and done. Thats with already owning 2 ball kegs, dualreg and tank. So as far as cost thats pretty reasonable. Time isnt really an issue as these dont take too long to make.

I wouldnt keep it in the garage unless the manual says it can handle outdoor temps and humidity.

You can also split the single output on the regular that it comes with (i think) with just a simple Y fitting as well. I can link you my entire spreadsheet of my keezer build im working on as well if your curious.

Im only doing two taps for now which when money and available kegs allow go up to 4.

The added bonus is that most of the hardware im having to buy new either can be 1. rebuilt if something wears out. 2. will just last forever.

Back