Newbie in OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csiewert

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just started brewing about a month ago. Took a class at a local home brew shop and learned a lot. So far I am on my second batch... My first batch was an American amber from a kit which I royally screwed up somehow. Smelled and tasted like hospital floor... Not sure exactly what happened but I am guessing it may have something to do with having sucked in some iodaphor water into the fermenter while trying to drain the conical (forgot to take out the airlock)... wasn't much but I guess it made all the difference... decided to dump it...

Was using a 6.5 gal conical and had real issues getting it to drain the dead yeast from the bottom (aside from forgetting to pull out the airlock first... would just stick to the side and wouldn't come out) and ended up getting a glass carboy instead for my primary and use the conical for my secondary or bottling vessel. My second batch is a bavarian hefe (also from a kit) which I started last Saturday. Going to let it sit there for a couple weeks and then bottle. Hopefully it turns out alright... forgot to test the OG... I guess I gotta screw something up every time.

Anyways, I have already learned a lot and am really excited about this new hobby. Thanks for having me! :mug:

Welcome to HomebrewTalk.com!

Ahhhh, Norman. Love the Abner Ale House there. Any place with a beer menu that has over 200 beers and a wait staff that actually knows something about said beers is a great place. Foods not half bad either

Welcome.

Are you using Learn to Brew as your LHBS? If not I highly recommend them.

@509inc... yeah... Learn to Brew is where I get everything and took my class. They have helped a lot, but did forget to mention some key thinks to look out for which I ended up figuring out when I ruined my first batch.

Back