Newbie here. Is this cider good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need something without preservatives. The two listed there will prevent the yeast from working. I've had good results with Tree Top and Mott's.

You live in Michigan for heavensakes, and it's harvest time. Get some real cider from a real orchard.

Aha, right on. It is a bumper crop this year too. I think the forecast is 31 million bushels which is, IIRC, 7 million more than average.

timrox1212 check out the orchards around Ann Arbor and Dexter. There are a few in that area that have award winning ciders. I am not sure what is around your immediate area for orchards, but I would think you will have to get out of the Detroit Metro area to find some.

If you don't want the drive, then some fresh pressed orchard cider should be showing up in your local supermarkets or specialty markets soon.

And there does seem to be a difference between cider from a local orchard and the cider/juice in Mott's or other bottled juices. Much more expensive, but better in the end.

Ok cool. I didn't know there would be a difference. I knew that the preservatives might cause a problem that's why I snapped a picture of the label first. Thanks guys.

But don't think you have to go to an orchard and spend $6-8 on a gallon. There are many brands in the store that work well. Just make sure it only has juice and sometimes citric acid. Usually if it has something that ends in -ate, it's a preservative.

Heck I think even the walmart brand is just juice and citric acid ... no "-ate's"

There was a post in here about 4 or 5 years ago about a guy who made his cider/wine/whatever the must was up and then noticed that it had sorbate or similar. He found that if he over pitched, - I don't recall if it was 2 packs, 3 , 5 or more - but if he over pitched the yeast, the preservative prevented some from working, but eventually he got to a point where fermentation happened. So you CAN get it to ferment if you just want to waste money on yeast. I only recommend this if you notice AFTER you've gotten it all set up and in your fermentor.

Get unpreserved stuff and go to town with that.

I agree with ACbrewer. The sorbate binds to the yeast but there is only so much sorbate... so if you are willing to sacrifice packs of yeast I think you could get the must to ferment but that would seem to me to be beyond a last resort. There is really no need to fight an uphill battle when apple juice without preservatives is plentiful

But don't think you have to go to an orchard and spend $6-8 on a gallon. There are many brands in the store that work well. Just make sure it only has juice and sometimes citric acid. Usually if it has something that ends in -ate, it's a preservative.

Depends on where you are. My local orchard / cider mill will fill your bucket for $4 / gallon. And some orchards will do a special pressing of a blend of apples specifically intended for fermenting. Cider is all about the apples.

Depends on where you are. My local orchard / cider mill will fill your bucket for $4 / gallon. And some orchards will do a special pressing of a blend of apples specifically intended for fermenting. Cider is all about the apples.

Right on. One of the local orchards here will fill your containers for $3.50 a gallon. I haven't tried their juice yet, but I might this year. The orchard usually brings their truck and juice to one of the local HBS and will fill your containers there, so I might have to go get six gallons and try it out.

Typically I buy from different orchard and their juice is $5.50 a gallon. I can usually get a break since I am willing to buy their stuff that is a day or two past their best buy date. I can get a buy two get one free deal. :)

I did just recently find an orchard that sells a "heritage cider" that is pressed from the older more traditional apple trees that are higher in malic acid and tannins. I have a cider going now with that juice. It is more expensive at $9 a gallon. That same orchard will also do what you mentioned and will blend and press what ever combinations of apples you want. They have more than 200 varieties of tress on their farm. I am pondering doing this, but you have to buy a "bulk box" for them to provide that service. A bulk box is 20 bushels of apples and they said it would be about 80 gallons of cider. I would have to buy a freezer to store all the juice. But it is tempting. :)

Good evening. Which orchard is that? I've been looking for a good, reasonably priced cider mill. The places around me tack the Westchester County NY premium on their gallons. I'd definitely travel into CT for cider.

Good evening. Which orchard is that? I've been looking for a good, reasonably priced cider mill. The places around me tack the Westchester County NY premium on their gallons. I'd definitely travel into CT for cider.

Consider going to Orange or Duchess Counties to get good freshly pressed natural cider. Both have a number of cideries (or at least did). Not sure the price in NY, but I got a 2nd pressing at my cidery for $3/ gallon.

I noticed this weekend that cider prices are lower this year. A few years ago, it was $8/gallon, but I saw it yesterday for $6. You guys are lucky to get it at $3!

I noticed this weekend that cider prices are lower this year. A few years ago, it was $8/gallon, but I saw it yesterday for $6. You guys are lucky to get it at $3!

Funny... the first juice I bought this year went up from $6 to $6.50 now. Apple Fest in a couple weeks so I'll know more then.

Funny... the first juice I bought this year went up from $6 to $6.50 now. Apple Fest in a couple weeks so I'll know more then.

OK, I feel better now knowing that I'm not paying more than everyone else!

Back