Newbie advice welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a keg with fridge co2 and taps. Making a cider after first fermentation can I add frozen mixed berries straight to the same bucket. After second fermentation can I sython using 2 filters red and blue bouncer filters or will this remove flavor. Also after secondary d fermentation is done after adding frozen mixed berries Can I keg and chill Using fiter or not, may be really clear but will I lose flaour what best way or advice thanks

I'm not sure what you're asking...

Fruit can be added either to primary or secondary or both depending on the desired results. What works for me is to rack to secondary then put berries in a mesh bag and let them give up their flavor for 10-14 days. Using a bag keeps seeds and fruit pulp to a minimum. Then rack again to your keg. You could probably use a filter for that too.

If you're using an auto siphon, the fruit pieces will likely clog the siphon if you don't rack above the lees. The bouncer filters look like they are just stainless mesh. Those shouldn't strip any flavor.

Great help how much frozen fruit to add on first and second fermentation would you reccomend like a good faver cider

Great help how much frozen fruit to add on first and second fermentation would you reccomend like a good faver cider
The amount of fruit will vary based on the type of fruit and your desired boldness of the fruit character in the cider. Ranges I've heard suggested are 0.5 lbs/gal for strong flavored fruits, like berries, to 2-3 lbs/gal for lighter flavored fruit. Here's an easy starter fruit cider recipe. I've heard others try it and enjoy it.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/14/bru-it-yourself-sparkling-hard-berry-cider/

Back