newbi chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch10169

Reaction score
hi guys just done my 3rd batch 1st was a coopers larger kit 2nd was a bulldogbrew strawberry and lime cider and now just bottled a better brew desperado which is the best from the 3 by far as its a learnig curve ive just built my own fridge freezer fermentation chamer to get the propper temps so trial and error with that at the moment. the question is about chill haze n how to reduce or remove it im only using the kits for now as im learning i dont want to waste my time n pleasure doing a cook from scratch till i get the kits near as dam it to good so any advice for chill haze would b great cheers in advance !!!!

Even though your bottled beers may be carbed, conditioned & clear going into the fridge, when they start cooling down the first time,chill haze starts forming. The dissolved proteins start clumping together like a fog. in a few days to a week fridge time, it should settle out. If it doesn't & you steeped or mashed some grains, it could be starch haze. A lot tougher to get rid of after the dact.
First off, half a Whirlfloc tablet about 15 minutes from the end of the boil can help. Chilling the wort down in 20 minutes or less can also induce some cold break to further settle out some of those proteins. If you top off in the fermenter with really cold water, you can get some more cold break that way. These things usually help give a clear beer with little or no chill haze.

A good strong boil, Whirfloc, a quick chill for good cold break cold crashing before bottling & extra time in the fridge before drinking. I find my beer brightens up quite a bit if I chill the bottles for a couple weeks before drinking them

I wish the company that makes the Whirlfloc tablets would make them in a 5 gallon size, rather than 10 gallon size. And at least 5-7 days in my experiences to settle chill haze & get decent carbonation. I found that 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer-lasting carbonation.

I wish the company that makes the Whirlfloc tablets would make them in a 5 gallon size, rather than 10 gallon size. And at least 5-7 days in my experiences to settle chill haze & get decent carbonation. I found that 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer-lasting carbonation.

Yeah I cut them in half I keep meaning to pick up a pill cutter to see if this will make it any easier because a knife doesn't work too well I end up crushing a lot of it.

Yeah, using a knife on them can be a little messy. The pill cutter sounds like a good idea. I'll have to remember to look for one. I've got a whole bottle of Whirlfloc after trying Fivestar Super Moss. Whirlfloc is great, but a bit too big. I'm going to try it in the dampfbier v2 I wanna brew PM style tomorrow.

Also carbonation seems to drop after refridgeration the bottles are solid on room temp but after been in fridge becomes softer

Just figured this one out myself. Brewed a kolsch. Used whirlfloc at 15 mins. Fermented 10 days. Moved to secondary and cold crashed for 3 weeks. Clearest beer I have ever had at bottling. Could practically see through the carboy. Bottled and let carbonate for 2 weeks. Looked clear through the bottle. Put one in the fridge for a night and tried it the next day and it was completely hazed. I couldn't figure it out until I did some research which said to fridge it for a week or 2. Drinking one now and completely clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

everythings backwards to whats supposed to b with me lol they have been in the bottle now at room temp for 3 weeks so should i put them in the fridge as close to freezing as possible for a further few weeks ?? or should i leave at room temp for longer

At 3 weeks, it's safe to put a few in the fridge at 45F or so for a week. Not near freezing. The process doesn't work that fast. Besides, it'll need time for any chill haze to form & settle out.

Thanks for reply and advice mate ill do that with a few see how it goes am in no rush to drink i want to get things right so i have patients lol

Just a little nugget on whirlfloc ... They are a pain to cut in half but real easy to break in half. Since you have a firm fridge you should cold crash with gelatin and you will get crystal clear beer.

Have you or anyone else ever done any chill filtering? Chill it to make those proteins (I think their proteins) fog up then run it through a filter before bottling or kegging. Would this have any adverse effect on final taste? This was mentioned briefly in a home brewing book I read but did not go into much detail.

Well, they are dissolved proteins clumping up that make chill haze. But I'd be sure the beer is well carbonated before chill filtering to make sure there was enough yeast to carbonate first. Otherwise, it might not.

Back