Chill haze???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslive4now

Reaction score
New brewer.. First batch done... Everything went smooth, fermented and stable at 2 weeks, bottled and carb is good at 5 days... Cold crashed a 6 pack in the fridge for two days.. Beer was clear going in (see a flash light through it) now that its chilled and nice no longer clear... So is this what they call Chill Haze??

It was a Saison from an extract kit and everything was smooth like I said.. Temps, sanatizing, etc...

It's just under 3 weeks at this time.. I know still young but so far taste spicy, hoppy.. I'm sure the flavors still need to mel a bit..

Oh and i used Irish Moss at the end of the boil...

Thoughts??

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Couple things...first, its probably chill haze.

How to prevent it:

1. A good hot break when starting your boil

2. Irish moss (which you used) and other agents of the like.

3. Time. No need to bottle a saison after two weeks, let it work its magic and over the course of a few weeks to a month, most will settle out.

4. Clarifying agents such as gelatin.

5. Cold crashing for a few days PRE-bottling

6. Longer chilling times in the fridge. 4 days helps, about two weeks in, you should be getting it as clear as its going to get

Couple things...first, its probably chill haze.

How to prevent it:

1. A good hot break when starting your boil

2. Irish moss (which you used) and other agents of the like.

3. Time. No need to bottle a saison after two weeks, let it work its magic and over the course of a few weeks to a month, most will settle out.

4. Clarifying agents such as gelatin.

5. Cold crashing for a few days PRE-bottling

6. Longer chilling times in the fridge. 4 days helps, about two weeks in, you should be getting it as clear as its going to get

Ok so now that its bottled my only hope is longer fridge time??... I only have a few in the fridge rest is chillin in the closet.. Will time help in the bottle for settling?? Or should I expect a longer chilling times when it's put into the fridge??

And thank you for help.. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

I cold crash and keep my beer in primary on yeast and dry hop for 14 days before a 4 day cold crash. I use whirlfloc and my beer still comes out cloudy but it Tastes darn good so I don't care. If it tastes good Ive never understood the mindset that it has to b super clear to b a good beer.

+1 to Calichuset's first post about preventing/minimizing chill haze.

Ok so now that its bottled my only hope is longer fridge time??... I only have a few in the fridge rest is chillin in the closet.. Will time help in the bottle for settling?? Or should I expect a longer chilling times when it's put into the fridge??

Fridge time will help clear them. That's pretty much the only way they will be clear and cold at the same time at this point.

But that's not a bad thing. Chill haze doesn't effect the flavor. Plus, you made a saison - lots of great saisons are hazy.

I give my beers 3-4 weeks at room temp to carb & condition. Then 5-7 days fridge time to allow any chill haze to form & settle. It also gives better, longer lasting carbonation & head.
As to the efficiency problem, The mash temp is important, as is water to grist ratio. I do pb/pm biab & started dunk sparging. A little stirring & letting it set for ten minutes or so drove my efficiency through the roof. As a result, my OG's went up. I got a 1.042-1.046 OG range up to 1.060 for my dampfbier & saison. Saison was slightly hazy all said & done. They usually are.:mug:

Back