Newb :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those cans have the yeast under the lid but most require additional fermentables. Sugar is sometimes listed (not good) and/or malt (good). You can also buy 2 cans and make a full 5 gallon batch with no additions.

Oh i have all the equipment, i want to make a 10 gallon batch

are you saying it takes two of these kits to make 5 gallons? What are additional fermentables?

are you saying it takes two of these kits to make 5 gallons? What are additional fermentables?

I think what Nurmey was trying to say is that the kit may require additional fermentables to be added, for instance sugar. Normally the kits are good for 5 gallon batches, but without seeing the actual kit ingredients and instructions it's hard to tell what additional items would be needed.

Normally the kit in a can stuff has everything you need, but I have seen a couple that have required additional fermentables.

As for the yeast, it should be under the cap of the can.

If you are doing 10 gallons, you would need to get two cans of it, as well as having the equipment to be able to handle 10 gallons of wort.

4 lbs of malt (1.8kg) is a relatively light beer. Most of my recipes involve 6 lbs or more...for 5 gallons. Yes, at least 2 cans for 10 gallons, but you might want to consider 5 if this is your first beer. That's a lot of beer if you end up not liking it much.
As you progress, you'll be finding recipes, adding your own hops (this is a pre-hopped kit), etc.

You know for about ten bucks more you could buy a nice kit with steeping grains. I think brewers best kits start around $28 and move up to about $50 in my local store. It is totally up to you, your dime, but a five gallon batch would be the best way to go for your first time at it.

Latest posts

Back