Newb needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys im completely new to this and I need some help/advice I got some hand me down parts and ingredients from an aquaintance of mine and im not sure that I can actually venture into my first brew yet. I do plan on buying a full kit but im about a month out on that. Heres what I have I have a 3 gallon better bottle, I have 2 complete three piece airlocks, and I have a random grab bag of three different kinds of dry yeast, a bag of cascade hops pellets, a bag of cascade hops (raw), probably three lbs of 2 row barley and some sanitizer and yeast activator. My questions are is it possible to try a first brew with what I have? And if possible does anyone know of a scale down recipe for such a small amount of equipment and ingredients?

Sounds like you have enough for a simple 2 gallon batch. If you have a 3 gallon pot and spare bag you could do a brew in bag all grain batch. It might be a nit involved for your first batch, but doable. There is a good thread or 10 on brew in bag for more informstion on the pocess.

Hey, nice! I just started brewing about a month ago and it's a lot of fun to do. I would put the barley away. It might not be crushed and if it is it might be too old.

Since you need ingredients. Check some recipes out there based on what you like to drink. Pick a recipe that sounds interesting and not too complicated, and bounce it off this forum to get feedback about what to expect.

An extract recipe is the simplest and least expensive. A partial mash recipe means you steep grains in a bag and you will use extract as well. All grain is the most complicated because then you have to deal with more equipment and more information/steps, but if you want to read up on it, then by all means give it a shot! Personally I'm glad my first try was extract.

You can scale down by converting pounds to ounces and then dividing from original batch gallons to your batch gallon size (5 gallons to 2.5 is an easy division, for example). I do this all the time with a spreadsheet. Most recipes are for 5 gallon batches, and my carboys are 3 gallons.

You'll need a kitchen scale to measure weights down to fractions of ounces as well as up to 11 pounds.

You'll need a stainless steel pot to cook in, probably the most expensive single part of the puzzle to start with... A 5 gallon pot will provide well for a 3 gallon batch size since you need headroom for foam and you will boil down a little. You'll need a funnel to get the wort into the carboy.

You also need an auto-siphon, some vinyl tube that will fit the siphon, clean bottles, caps, and a capper, but that you can buy weeks later.

Good luck! It's a lot of fun.

You could totally make a blonde ale with the ingredients you have. These ingredients would give about a gallon to a gallon and a half of finished beer.... The only possible issue is it would need to be an an All-Grain, which isnot the end ofthe world, since at this volume you probably could do it on your stove with stuf you already have.... Just a thought.... I say give it a shot

Even scaled down, not sure you have enough raw ingredients for a small batch with only 3 lbs of 2 row. First thing though, check the date of the yeast and see how old it is. Next, what kind of brewing are you hoping to do? I'm assuming extract brewing, so you would need to have either Dried or Liquid Malt Extract and 2 row is for mashing, so it won't do much for you right now. Best advice: get everything stored well in a dry place and put the hops in the freezer, then buy some sanitizer and a cleaning agent to get everything nice and clean, then start doing some research on the types of brewing processes (extract, partial mash, all grain) by using the stickies on this very very informative forum. And welcome, you'll be up and going soon enough, I promise!

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate the insight I was kinda thinkin I should wait because I dont have all the proper equipment and I also wasnt sure about doing a partial mash brew my first time around. I think I may wait to get everything including an all extract kit. For about the last two years ive grown to be a pretty picky drinker (strong ales, ipa's, imperials, barlywines,etc,..) So since the point of brewing is the passion of creating something you love I think it may be a bad idea and possibly discouraging to attempt to brew something that I wont enjoy drinking and cutting corners because I dont have all the proper materials on my first brew. I will continue studying this until I have everything I need

One quick question is there anything I can substitute for a grain bag or brew bag whatever they are called

Back