Newb here, gots a question about dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobyone

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just bottled my 1st batch of brew on Saturday and i'm ready to start another batch this weekend. I used the Coopers no boil IPA and so far everything seems to be working out great. So now I think I want to try a partial mash brew. I will probably try a pale ale (not sure which one) so the question I pose to everyone is this; If you are dry hopping in the primary after all signs of fermentation have stopped do you just toss the dry hops right in and wait for said amount of time then rack to my bottling bucket and proceed as normal leaving all sediment and hops at the the bottom of the primary bucket? Any info would be great. Thanks

Yes. But I'd throw them into the primary using a mesh hop bag. Otherwise it'll be hard to get rid of the hop particles.

I dump my dry hop pellets right in, and then give the fermenter a gentle swirl every other day. Then rack off ( to a keg in my case ) leaving all the stuff behind.

I typically start my dry hop when fermentation is about 90% done. That little extra fermentation help get some of the aroma out without scrubbing it away.

depends on what kind of hops you are using, keep in mind.

if yuo are using plugs or whole flowers, use a hop bag like soco says. if you are using pellets though, throwing them right in is fine as they generally tend to break up nicely and settle down into the trub. I personally do not swirl my brew at all when i dry hop. I simply let the hops do their own work (i dont want to risk any sort of infection or oxidation to my brew).

Good luck with your next batch!

this may be a dumb question but do you have to sanitize the pellets at all or are they good to go as is?

You can do 1 of 2 things.

1) Add hops into primary by chucking them in without a bag. Then when you siphon off, put the siphon into a sanitized mesh bag and siphon away (not allowing particles through).

2) Put hops into a sanitized bag.

Either way you get a dry hop result. :mug:

I have read where some brewers will put a bunch of sanitized marbles in the hops bag to weigh it down(whole hops tend to float for a long time), they also tie a bit of fishing line to the bag in order to pull it out of the carboy/bucket when it comes to bottling/racking time!

I have read where some brewers will put a bunch of sanitized marbles in the hops bag to weigh it down(whole hops tend to float for a long time), they also tie a bit of fishing line to the bag in order to pull it out of the carboy/bucket when it comes to bottling/racking time!

Yes, the marble trick it a good one. I use a huge sanitized SS bolt to do the trick.

No need to sanitize the actual hops...they're naturally bacteria free.

Back