New yeast company in Chicago (with a twist)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lshaner

Reaction score
I started a yeast company in Chicago. My business started with a focus on providing fresh yeast pitches to the rapidly growing Chicagoland craft brewing industry. I was not planning on entering the homebrewing market until I had something truly unique to offer. In other words, I did not want to be the fourth or fifth yeast startup company to offer Conan yeast. I’m excited to announce that we have arrived at something truly unique. We have developed the technology to create hybrids of existing ale yeast strains. Our first success was hybridizing the DuPont saison and Brasserie Thiriez saison (more commonly known as Wyeast 3711 French Saison) strains. Interestingly, at least one of the resulting hybrid strains has proven to ferment faster than either parent strain. We have performed initial RAPD-PCR testing that proved the presence of DuPont DNA in the hybrid strain. However, the hybrid did not have the slow fermentation or heat-requiring characteristics of the DuPont strain. In the first test batch, fermentation was performed at 72 degrees and achieved 85% attenutation in 7 days (better than the 8 days for the Brasserie Thiriez strain). As for taste, the resulting beer tastes closer to the DuPont fermenter samples (consistent with other people’s experiences, the DuPont test batch is only nearing completion at four weeks while the hybrid and Thiriez batches were bottled two weeks ago). The hybrid seems to be a little less spicy phenolic and a little more tart and fruity than the Thiriez batch. Once I’m able to bottle and condition the DuPont batch, I’ll be able to determine how the hybrid compares to it. Either way, we have created either a much better performing DuPont saison strain, or a strain with unique properties derived from DuPont and Thiriez.

We’ll be working through the logistics of providing pitches for homebrewers in the coming months. We’re really excited to apply this technology in creating many new and exciting strains!

I take it that the Saison DuPont yeast strain is a diploid or at least a polyploid with which you could trigger meiotic chromosome segregation.

Didn't even test for ploidy. Without divulging the details of our process, it depends on the ability of the strain to sporuate, so it is safe to assume that yes, there was meiotic chromosome segregation.

It goes without saying that sporulation is the first step in hybridization. However, most brewing S. cerevisiae strains are polyploids that do not sporulate or sporulate poorly, which is why you have my attention.

There is at least one other method available for hybrid creation that doesn't rely on sporulation and mating. That would be protoplast fusion. For strains that we can't get to sporulate and mate, we hope to utilize a modified version of protoplast fusion. The possibilities for new strain development would be endless with the combination of traditional mating and protoplast fusion.

I can't sing the praises of the french saison strain enough. Our (middle brow's) first release that is showing up on shelves anyday now (The Life Pursuit) in Chicago utilized it and I found it to be better and have more character then what we originally planned with 3711.

Can we get more information on this and other yeast strains that you offer? Any other hydrids in the making?

just picked up your west coast ale I and your diap yeast. excited to give your product a try.

Reviving a somewhat old thread.

Just picked up some Saisonstein's Monster. Looking forward to trying it.

Latest posts

Back