New Years Resolution - win HB comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhh2b

Reaction score
So this may sound crazy but one of my 2014 goals is to win a home brew competition. I have been brewing extract for a year with some success [entered one HB comp and didn't place :)]. I am switching to all grain and the HB comp goal is motivation to really dial it in vs my previous methods of "let's throw some cinnamon, vanilla, coffee, banana, and bread yeast in and see what happens".

My question is, if you had 3 (or more) pts of advice to win a HB comp, for a new all grain brewer with a wild and crazy past, what would they be?

Equipment:
Converting an 60qt igloo ice cube cooler to Mash tun w/ PVC manifold
5 gal drinking cooler (planning on converting to either HLT or smaller MLT)
3 gal brew kettle :(
Propane burner
Dorm fridge with digital temp control (primary used for corny keg - but can be germ chamber)

For competitions (many of them, anyway) style is super important. The judges will be looking for very specific things (color, aroma, flavor profiles, etc). Get a book like Brewing Classic Styles and start, well, brewing classic styles. Look over the BJCP guidelines for each style, too. Your beers for competition should be within those. Sure, there's the specialty category, but I'd work on nailing a particular base beer before going nuts with odd additions.

That's just my opinion, of course. I'm sure someone on here won a medal with a "let's just toss this stuff into the wort and see what happens" approach. In my experience, I score better when I shoot for a particular style.

Good luck.
:mug:

EDIT - And see if you can sample some of the examples listed in the BJCP style descriptions. It'll give you a good idea of a style that you might not be familiar with. Plus, you know, beer.

Also, don't think that you have to brew only all-grain to win competitions. I've done it with extract and specialty grains.

The advice about adherance to style specifications is right on. This does not necessarily mean you have to brew to a style, but you do have to enter your beer in the style category that it most resembles!

Some of it is luck in who you get judging your beer. I have had situations arise when one judge will comment that my stout, for example, "lacks roasty character" while another judge comments "roasty character prominent."

Good brewing to you!

Thanks, I definitely need to work on my style knowledge and ability to hit within criteria. I also plan on simplifying the recipes (remove the crazy ingredients and concentrate on single hops/grains so I can dial in my technique and identify issues vs having a jumbled mess).

1) Have some form of active fermentation temperature control. In the winter, you're not really at risk of your temperatures going too high but this is something that will be one of the most important tools in your home brewery.
2) Start reading up on and using yeast starters especially if you use liquid yeast. Pitching a large, active, and healthy amount of yeast is very important if you're trying to produce good quality beer.
3) Buy a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and use these recipes as a base for your first entries to competition. All the recipes are award winners but a few really have done exceptionally well for me in the past - the Kolsch recipe is a winner as is the Vienna Lager recipe

4) And yes, I know you asked for only 3 things, if at all possible try to volunteer to steward a local competition. I always ask my stewards if they want to taste the beers that we are judging. This will get you exposure to high quality and poor quality beers which will give you an idea of where you are and where you want to be.

Darwin18 said:
1) Have some form of active fermentation temperature control. In the winter, you're.....

Great stuff, thanks!!!!!

Good advice here. My resolution is just to enter some comps so I'm in the same boat. I just started reading Brewing Better Beer and it's got some really good things to think about and apply, I'm not even very far into it. I'm striving to nail down the basics and to be consistant this year with my brews.

Good luck to you!

1) learn your water and how to improve it for the styles your brewing - just slightly tinkering with sulfate, choloride, and mash pH can turn a good beer into a great beer

2) manage appropriate fermentation temperatures

3) manage yeast through proper pitch rates, wort O2 rates, and fermentation time

4) learn and manage appropriate carbonation levels; not all styles should be carbed the same and those few extra points can be valuable in a couple of the categories

5) learn some styles that don't traditionally get as many entries; not only is it easier to place (in theory) with less entries, but you can have a shorter road to BOS that way....

6) hit the high end of the scale (OG, FG, ABV, and IBU) on the BJCP guidelines. This is especially important in hoppy categories.

7) get lucky; so much goes into competitions with how beer is shipped, stored, temp served, flight position, time opened, evaluated, etc......you aren't going to win without some luck.

Thank you very much az_ipa. Great stuff, thank you again.

You have to design the recipe with the competition in mind. While some judges will say that there is leeway in the style guidelines, many judges will ding a beer if it is not what they expected, even if it is within the style. For example, the American Pale Ale style category does not require any particular type of hop (e.g., it does not require the traditional West Coast citrus/piney hops). When I entered a Pale Ale that pegged the style guideline numbers but used German noble hops, two of the three judges commented that the beer did not have the "proper" type of hop.

Winning a competition is not about creating good beer per se. It is about making a beer that best exemplifies the style in the eyes of the judges.

You have to design the recipe with the competition in mind. While some judges will say that there is leeway in the style guidelines, many judges will ding a beer if it is not what they expected, even if it is within the style. For example, the American Pale Ale style category does not require any particular type of hop (e.g., it does not require the traditional West Coast citrus/piney hops). When I entered a Pale Ale that pegged the style guideline numbers but used German noble hops, two of the three judges commented that the beer did not have the "proper" type of hop.

Winning a competition is not about creating good beer per se. It is about making a beer that best exemplifies the style in the eyes of the judges.

:confused:

BCJP Category 10A - American Pale Ale said:
Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required. Low to moderate maltiness supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white to off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.

Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.

Comments: There is some overlap in color between American pale ale and American amber ale. The American pale ale will generally be cleaner, have a less caramelly malt profile, less body, and often more finishing hops.

History: An American adaptation of English pale ale, reflecting indigenous ingredients (hops, malt, yeast, and water). Often lighter in color, cleaner in fermentation by-products, and having less caramel flavors than English counterparts.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. American hops, often but not always ones with a citrusy character. American ale yeast. Water can vary in sulfate content, but carbonate content should be relatively low. Specialty grains may add character and complexity, but generally make up a relatively small portion of the grist. Grains that add malt flavor and richness, light sweetness, and toasty or bready notes are often used (along with late hops) to differentiate brands.

You highlight selectively. It expressly says "other" hops may be used. The judges problem was not that the hops were German but that they were not citrusy/piney. The style guidelines expressly say that is not required.

1) Temperature and Yeast - I put these together, since without the proper amount and type of yeast and fermentation at the proper temperatures, you won't be getting the highest marks.

2) Style - Concentrate on one style until until you can replicate it over and over. Taste as many examples of that style as you can (if you can taste the ones that have won in National Brew Offs, even better). Unless you can be perfect in everything about your brew day, stay away from the very pale beers (nothing to hide behind if your fermentation temperatures are off) a darker style relies less on your ability to manipulate your water chemistry than a blonde ale would.

3) Read Read Read! - The BJCP Style Guidelines are the best way to find the type of beer you want to brew for competition, Brewing Classic Styles is one of the best ways to learn about the styles, Radical Brewing is a great way to learn about alternates to the normal styles and the Forums here on HBT are a good way to see what other brewers are working on.

1. Water Chemistry
2. Fermentation Temperature Control
3. Recipe Design

Classic styles and also I think an older read, Designing Great beers has good information.

You highlight selectively. It expressly says "other" hops may be used. The judges problem was not that the hops were German but that they were not citrusy/piney. The style guidelines expressly say that is not required.

To be fair, as a judge, I expect American hops in APAs that are in front of me. The commercial examples at the bottom of the style guide include Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which is familiar and available to 99% of judges for this particular category. That's what I have in my mind when I judge APAs. A beer without American hops is going to stand out, and not in a good way, against the rest of the beers that do. If you brewed a clean beer without flaws then you should expect a score in the low 30's with the big dings coming in the flavor/aroma for the perceived lack of American hops. Yes, I know that technically your entry was correct, but you also have to think about the judges when it comes to entering homebrew competitions if you're looking to win.

To be fair, as a judge, I expect American hops in APAs that are in front of me. The commercial examples at the bottom of the style guide include Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which is familiar and available to 99% of judges for this particular category. That's what I have in my mind when I judge APAs. A beer without American hops is going to stand out, and not in a good way, against the rest of the beers that do. If you brewed a clean beer without flaws then you should expect a score in the low 30's with the big dings coming in the flavor/aroma for the perceived lack of American hops. Yes, I know that technically your entry was correct, but you also have to think about the judges when it comes to entering homebrew competitions if you're looking to win.

This was my point. You have to brew with the competition in mind, seeking to create an exemplar of what the judges will view as the archetype of the style.

This was my point. You have to brew with the competition in mind, seeking to create an exemplar of what the judges will view as the archetype of the style.

It's very valid. Always consider your audience. Do not send a lightly hopped IPA to a West Coast Competition, likewise do not send a hop bomb of an IPA to an East Coast Competition. 90% of the other styles though are pretty straight forward.

For the OP, I would take a style that doesn't get a crap ton of entries and isn't very difficult to brew if you want start taking some ribbons. Take a look at the Amber Hybrid Category - a California Common or Altbeir are very forgiving and don't get a lot of entries. Same with the Light Hybrid Category - Koslch is easy as are Cream and Wheat beers. For whatever reason, nobody can seem to brew a solid American Amber recipe. Every time I judge that category, and usually they get shunted away from the APA/Browns for their own grouping, I can barely find one that merits a 30. That's what I would go with to start: Light Hybrid, Amber Hybrid, American Amber.

I would stay away from the IPAs, APAs, and Belgians because these usually have the most entries. If your process is solid and you can make a good quality lager than do consider those categories. Usually you'll go up against 6 - 10 other entries at most in a lager category in the winter and sometimes as low as 3 - 6 in the summer. Fruit beers are also a category that don't usually get a lot of entries. Stay away from the Vegetable Beer Category starting in August through January - pumpkin beers galore.

A lot of the advice here pertains to brewing better beer, rather than winning competitions (with the exception of Darwin). If I recall correctly, Gordon Strong's book "Brewing Better Beer" has a chapter on winning homebrewing competitions. His advice is, in general, enter a lot of competitions, and choose categories that are typically underrepresented. The IPA category is going to be pretty crowded, and thus very tough to stand out in. But a Rauchbier might only have a handful of competitors.

Also, as others mentioned, stick to the BJCP style descriptions, but lean towards the "extreme" end, if that makes any sense. You want to be in style, but you want to stand out and be memorable, too.

Finally, be terse with your description. Don't enter a beer and describe it as "A Robust Porter, boiled with nutmeg and ginger, then steeped with anise and fresh vanilla beans." The problem with that is that if you give them all that information, they're going to be looking for all of those flavours, and if any of them are missing or not prominent, you'll be criticised for it. Better to just call it a "Winter Robust Porter" and let the judges taste the nuances for themselves.

Good advice here. My resolution is just to enter some comps so I'm in the same boat. I just started reading Brewing Better Beer and it's got some really good things to think about and apply, I'm not even very far into it. I'm striving to nail down the basics and to be consistant this year with my brews.

Good luck to you!

I entered some competitions because I am writing a book and I thought some wins would look good on my brewery wall, and answer the question "Why should I buy this guy's book?"

I entered five competitions and won two bronze, two silver, and a gold (which went to the nationals where it competed with 175 other entries and didn't place!)

I figured I'd proved my point, and since it was costing me fifty bucks an entry, I stopped.

One thing I learned however is that the BJCP and BJCP guidelines can be very restrictive. For example I entered a Bouza in the specialty category, and got dinged by a judge because it was "interesting" but it wasn't "quaffable"--no, it was a sour, and not supposed to be "quaffable."

So there seems to be a lot of obsessive attention to strict style guidelines, and I suggest that many of Dogfish Head's wilder innovations might not make the cut because they are so far off the charts that judges might not know what to make of them.

I've decided to concentrate on brewing what I like, and experimenting with the ideas that pop into my head. These I'm putting into my book.

RobertRGeorge said:
Since it was costing me fifty bucks an entry, I stopped. .

Is that level of entry fee general or were these considered higher level competitions? What would you say is the average lower level competition fee?

I think BYO just had an article about competitions not to long ago that have some great tips. Ill try to find what issue when I get home.

Is that level of entry fee general or were these considered higher level competitions? What would you say is the average lower level competition fee?

$50 an entry?

Sorry, most are $6 - $8. The high range tends to be $10. NHC last year charged $12 - $17 an entry. That doesn't include the cost for shipping, but my advice to enter local competitions first that offer pick up at regional drop off locations.

$50 an entry?

Sorry, most are $6 - $8. The high range tends to be $10. NHC last year charged $12 - $17 an entry. That doesn't include the cost for shipping, but my advice to enter local competitions first that offer pick up at regional drop off locations.

I'm guessing the $50 quote was because the poster enters multiple beers per competition.

He wrote $50 an entry, not $50 per competition.

I know, but I'm guessing that was what we lawyers call loose language -- i.e., imprecise language.

The comps I've entered have been $7 to $15 per beer. Each time the competition has run me $50 or more from entering multiple beers.

Back