New Year's Eve is gonna blow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at least you and your fiance can sleep in the same room. My wife (recent fiancee) went to her parents last year for the holidays and we had to sleep on separate floors. Talk about lame.

New years eve...lets see, I've spent the last three in a kitchen toasting with a bunch of smelly cooks, half drunk and ankle deep in mop water trying to get the hell out of there so we could go watch our already-drunk friends pass out. This year, I'll be doing the same thing. Except someone is getting married on new years day so we have to be to work at 9:30. AM. I love the holidays.

Last New Years I pulled a 48, New Years Eve and Day.

I hate working New Years Eve. People that never drink suddenly decide to see how much they can. :rolleyes:

While in the metro Detorit you should visit Kuhnhenn's Brewery in Warren. Very nice beer...and you're so close.

Thanks for the suggestion, rbridges01. That place is only 7 miles from Grandma's, so we will definitely make it there! I got the FIL into brewing, so he will be easy to convince to go. And now that I've tasted a few of the MI brews, I am definitely stocking up on bottles (and maybe I should bring a growler or two in case).

I got a small piece of good news yesterday - apparently Grandma is not a teetotaler (I guess I should have figured, her being Catholic and all :D); the issue might be more of how she feels about a young lady drinking beer with the men. Since I don't give a flip about gender roles, this won't be a problem! :D

If nothing else, this should be an excellent beer-gathering trip (and probably a chance to catch up on some reading). :mug:

Thanks for the suggestion, rbridges01. That place is only 7 miles from Grandma's, so we will definitely make it there! I got the FIL into brewing, so he will be easy to convince to go. And now that I've tasted a few of the MI brews, I am definitely stocking up on bottles (and maybe I should bring a growler or two in case).

I got a small piece of good news yesterday - apparently Grandma is not a teetotaler (I guess I should have figured, her being Catholic and all :D); the issue might be more of how she feels about a young lady drinking beer with the men. Since I don't give a flip about gender roles, this won't be a problem! :D

If nothing else, this should be an excellent beer-gathering trip (and probably a chance to catch up on some reading). :mug:

Kuhnen's is iffy at best, half the time they don't have what's on their menu....And they usually have less than 10 on their menu at any given month, with one or two out of stock...

if you are that close hit Dragonmead instead it's about a mile from there and starts out with around 40-50 beers of theirs ontap, with maybe 1 or 2 being out on a given night.

Check em out Dragonmead's CURRENT list of Beers

In fact it looks like Yooper's coming down over the holidays when Firebrewer comes into town...

We have a discussion on the Masher's club part of the forum

Metro Detroit Beer Meetup.

Thanks for the tip, Revvy. The list of beers at Dragonmead is AMAZING! :ban: I will keep an eye on the meetup discussion.

at least you and your fiance can sleep in the same room. My wife (recent fiancee) went to her parents last year for the holidays and we had to sleep on separate floors. Talk about lame.

Ha I remember doing that when me and the wife where still dating. Every year my wifes grandma would have a family get together at the coast and every year we would have to sleep in separate rooms. It always pissed my wife off royally but I thought it was kind of funny.

***WARNING*** Bitchy whining ahead...Proceed at your own risk.

I just found out that this year's planned trip with the future in-laws to see Grandma in Detroit is embarking on Dec. 31. It is official. This will be the most boring New Year's EVER.

I would suggest going at another time.

I would tell HWMBO, NO!. It sounds silly to me.

There would have to be a family emergency for me to go way out there just to watch TV on New Years Eve.

I would have a meet up at her bed (so she has the wet spot) and then proceed to make all the noise you possibly can. Just to let them know that you are not bored, and and IN FACT HAVING A GREAT TIME!!

And remember, it's not always about you. Maybe you don't see it yourself, but she might want to have these memories to remember later on, when they are passed away, and memories are all she has.

I would have a meet up at her bed (so she has the wet spot) and then proceed to make all the noise you possibly can. Just to let them know that you are not bored, and and IN FACT HAVING A GREAT TIME!!

And remember, it's not always about you. Maybe you don't see it yourself, but she might want to have these memories to remember later on, when they are passed away, and memories are all she has.

Wah -Wah
-Debbie Downer-

If FIL is a fellow brewer there should be no problem taking brews right? And I definitely second the Apfelwein in the 1 liter soda bottles!

I would have a meet up at her bed (so she has the wet spot)...

Hey, that's MY bed you're talking about! :mad: :p

And yeah, I know these memories, etc. are important for HWMO, and I don't mind going to see his grandmother. This was just me having a sulk immediately after I found out about the trip. Now that I know Dragonmead is within 8 miles, I am in a perkier mood.

If FIL is a fellow brewer there should be no problem taking brews right? And I definitely second the Apfelwein in the 1 liter soda bottles!

Definitely will be bringing some brew (but hopefully bring MORE home!). I've got some young cider that would be criminal to drink, so I'll wait on that and hope my godawful cranberry zinger-stuff is palatable by then.

Depending on which direction you are from dragonmeade, we could help direct you to some great bottle shops as well if you're looking to bring home some "Michigan Bounty" or "Michigan Booty" if you're more pirate oriented. I'm starting with the suggestion of Champagnes Wine Cellar/Pic-A-Nut on Chicago Road between Van Dyke and Mound.

Depending on which direction you are from dragonmeade, we could help direct you to some great bottle shops as well if you're looking to bring home some "Michigan Bounty" or "Michigan Booty" if you're more pirate oriented. I'm starting with the suggestion of Champagnes Wine Cellar/Pic-A-Nut on Chicago Road between Van Dyke and Mound.

Thanks TerapinChef. I will definitely make it there, maybe on the way back from Dragonmead. If you drew a line between Hamtramk and Warren, HWMO's grandmother would be halfway in between. I wasn't into beer the last time we visited her, so I didn't know about any of this!

EDIT: I had started making beer like a week before I visited her last time, but I had not yet progressed to the point of planning vacations around beer activities, like I do now. :D

Kuhnen's is iffy at best, half the time they don't have what's on their menu....And they usually have less than 10 on their menu at any given month, with one or two out of stock...

if you are that close hit Dragonmead instead it's about a mile from there and starts out with around 40-50 beers of theirs ontap, with maybe 1 or 2 being out on a given night.

Check em out Dragonmead's CURRENT list of Beers

In fact it looks like Yooper's coming down over the holidays when Firebrewer comes into town...

We have a discussion on the Masher's club part of the forum

Metro Detroit Beer Meetup.

Wow, if someone’s going to bash Kuhnhenn’s they could at least spell the name correctly.
One thing to consider in any brewery is that the quantity of beers on tap doesn’t necessarily translate into quality of the beers.
Dragonmead has many, many beers and I do enjoy supporting them also. There beer is good. I think the atmosphere of the place is a bit like “grandama’s house”, but for some folks that’s just fine. I prefer a younger livelier crowd and bartenders that have a personality.
BTW, Kuhnhenn’s has multiple beers in the top 50 in the world (rated by beer advocate), and put their focus on quality beer. Sure they run out of different styles….hmmm…must be because it’s awesome beer. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better Winter Solstice celebration this year.
Remember – let’s support all breweries.
Let’s hook up when you get in town. It would be my pleasure to buy you and HWMBO a pint.

Wow, if someone’s going to bash Kuhnhenn’s they could at least spell the name correctly.
One thing to consider in any brewery is that the quantity of beers on tap doesn’t necessarily translate into quality of the beers.
Dragonmead has many, many beers and I do enjoy supporting them also. There beer is good. I think the atmosphere of the place is a bit like “grandama’s house”, but for some folks that’s just fine. I prefer a younger livelier crowd and bartenders that have a personality.
BTW, Kuhnhenn’s has multiple beers in the top 50 in the world (rated by beer advocate), and put their focus on quality beer. Sure they run out of different styles….hmmm…must be because it’s awesome beer. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better Winter Solstice celebration this year.
Remember – let’s support all breweries.
Let’s hook up when you get in town. It would be my pleasure to buy you and HWMBO a pint.

A little touchy aren't we????

I didn't really Diss the place, just expressed a disapointment, in a regular issue I have had with availability of their beers. I actually frequent the place on occasion, and still continue too despite that issue. I have even hosted a craft beer meetup there not too long ago.

I just don't go expecting to get what's on the menu, or expecting to get their IPA despite how much I may crave it.

I just expressed a preference for Dragonmead.

And I am quite aware on their beers beiong on the top fifty because I ACTUALLY POSTED THE INFO ABOUT IT ONCE ON HERE!!!!

So relax there, cowboy...there's plenty of room for people's opinions on here. I didn't trash you for liking it, so why do you choose to attack me or my spelling of it because I offered mine?

There's only one micro in town that I have given a bad review after giving it repeated chances, and it ain't that place.

You could always use some temporary tattoos, then I don't think the beer will get any comments. :D

You could always use some temporary tattoos, then I don't think the beer will get any comments. :D

Who needs temporaries when I've got the real deal? ;)
You may be on to something...

Just let her know that one of the men you're drinking with is a minister. That will either calm her or scandalize her.

Now we're talking. I can't be too bad if I'm hanging with a man of God, right? We just won't mention any of your previous forum experiences.. :p

Speaking of spelling errors:

rbridges01 said:
Corrections: "Their" and "grandma's".

Duly noted. :drunk: Stop shecking with me. :D
Wow, this new language is catching on. Maybe I should change my name to f***y. That would make things easier, no?

As to jmull hanging out with minister Revvy, I bet grandma would be happier with that than hanging out with Catholic priest. A randy, repressed bunch, those folks.:D

I'd actually like to go hang out with Grammy. Instead I'll be doing the 7p - 7a shift at work and longing for last NYE, when SWMBO and I hiked up into Tuckermans Ravine on Mt Washington and watched the midnight fireworks from our sleeping bags in the 5* below 0 temps.

I have found that the best place for nookie when at grandma's house, while grandma is downstairs, is on the floor between the two beds. Also pack a flask for that trip, and see if you can stay evenly toasted for the whole 12 hours without screaming at your future mom-in-law that the "GOD DAMN GAS IS ON THE RIGHT!!!"

Back