New Year's Eve is gonna blow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
***WARNING*** Bitchy whining ahead...Proceed at your own risk.

I just found out that this year's planned trip with the future in-laws to see Grandma in Detroit is embarking on Dec. 31. It is official. This will be the most boring New Year's EVER. I figured I'd already had all the dullest New Year's times there were to have, but apparently I was wrong. I can already see it...

We'll set off on the trip from western MD around 9 am and not get to Detroit until 9 pm. Oh yes, HWMO's parents drive and manage to make a normally 8-hour trip take 12 hours. His mother is a dangerously slow driver, and doesn't like to let HWMO drive, but if she does, she peers over his shoulder and harasses him about his speed the whole way. She once snatched a banana right out of her husband's hand while he was driving because she thought it was too dangerous for him to eat and drive at the same time.

Then we'll spend some nice quiet time sitting on the couch, watching something like the Jim Lehrer hour on PBS (his family doesn't talk much, so yeah, let's drive hundreds of miles to sit quietly together and watch public television).

Then, IF I am lucky, we might have a champagne toast a midnight. Then we will all head off to bed - HWMO and I upstairs to the loft/attic where we sleep in two twin beds.

*sigh* So much for lots of good beer and friends or family (my family is fun at least) and New Year's na-na to end the night.

I'm not really THAT pissed, just not looking forward to general boringness of these visits, especially on a day that would otherwise have been fun. On the upside, I will finally have access to some of the excellent MI beers I have recently tasted thanks to my brother at MSU in East Lansing. And HWMO has already declared we'll smuggle something to nip into Grandma's house. Ugh, I feel 12 years old.

yow, that sucks man! maybe give the in-laws and grandparent some dramamine or something to "help prevent motion sickness" while in the car, and later on the couch?

Wow!

There is NO WAY you could get me in a car with a neurotic person (MIL) like that.

No parties for me either, most likley I'll toast the new year to myself with a beer in each hand. My wife and son will certainly be asleep.

Sounds like some serious amounts of Apfelwein is needed.

How long does it take to get to DeTroit? About 6 pints of Apfelwein. :D After the 4th, the trip will be over before you know it.

I'll be performing down in Alexandria for First Night- same as I have for the past 3 years. If anyone wants to meet up for a pint, let me know!

Sounds like some serious amounts of Apfelwein is needed.

How long does it take to get to DeTroit? About 6 pints of Apfelwein. :D After the 4th, the trip will be over before you know it.

hehe you beat me to it. I was gonna say that Gramma needs to be introuced to apfelwein! :D

EdWort, I think you're right. And I think I've also realized the new use for my CamelPak... :ban:

So a few votes for slipping granny a little something to help her "rest"... "No, Grandma, it's just sparkling apple juice..." :D

I'll be performing down in Alexandria for First Night- same as I have for the past 3 years. If anyone wants to meet up for a pint, let me know!

Where are you performing and what do you perform?

mine's gonna be another dateless night drinking as well....There's not even a hockey game in town that day, it's an away game, and not one close enough where the booster clubs going to have a bus trip...

Of Course we Michigan Masher's could plan a commando raid and rescue jmulligan from the clutches of MIL....anyone game?

New Year's is overrated anyway. Just another evening if you ask me. SWMBO and I will probably drink a few, do it at about 12:05 and be asleep immediately following.

New Year's parties used to be a blast, then we all got old and married and had kids. Now everyone just stays home because it's not worth going out driving anywhere that night with all the drunkard kids out! :D

New Year's is overrated anyway. Just another evening if you ask me. SWMBO and I will probably drink a few, do it at about 12:05 and be asleep immediately following.

New Year's parties used to be a blast, then we all got old and married and had kids. Now everyone just stays home because it's not worth going otu driving anywhere that night with all the drunkard kids out! :D

My night exactly, except for the do it part. SWMBO will be asleep by 10:30 and I'll be watching TV at my MIL's house.

I actually hate New Year's Eve. That's my humbug moment.:D

Where are you performing and what do you perform?

American Red Cross in Old Town: index

I'll be performing some traditionally-inspired didjeridu opposite a world-music/spoken word duo.

It's always a blast and I usually sell an artifact or instrument along the way. :D

I used to host a karaoke show and always dreaded new years eve. I still don't like going out on that night. Too many idiots that can't handle their alcohol out that night.

SWMBO and I will probably drink a few, do it at about 12:05 and be asleep immediately following.

That's seriously all I wanted, with maybe a funny movie thrown in there. I've never been a party sort - always did New Year's at home.

Maybe we'll defile Grandma's house if they all go out antiquing or something. :D

American Red Cross in Old Town: index

I'll be performing some traditionally-inspired didjeridu opposite a world-music/spoken word duo.

It's always a blast and I usually sell an artifact or instrument along the way. :D

Neat! Since this year is bagged, I will definitely make a note for next year, if you're going to be doing that again.

New Year's parties used to be a blast, then we all got old and married and had kids. Now everyone just stays home because it's not worth going otu driving anywhere that night with all the drunkard kids out! :D

Yep. I like to move the clocks forward 2 hours, that way I get to bed at my normal time. :D

I'm not really THAT pissed, just not looking forward to general boringness of these visits, especially on a day that would otherwise have been fun. On the upside, I will finally have access to some of the excellent MI beers I have recently tasted thanks to my brother at MSU in East Lansing. And HWMO has already declared we'll smuggle something to nip into Grandma's house. Ugh, I feel 12 years old.

If you're in East Lansing around lunchtime, check out Claddaugh's Irish Pub--its in an outdoor mall. I know its a chain, but it has a good atmosphere and good beer on tap.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f28/claddaghs-irish-pub-23271/

+1 for New Years being just another night...

After we had the kids it didn't make sense (or seem safe) to drive around at 1am, so the wife and I will have a drink of sparkling cider, maybe a beer or wine (probably not) and then fall asleep either right when the ball drops, or directly after.

Since the kids are still small they'll be in bed their normal bedtimes.

FUN.

2 twin beds eh? Slap those 2 beds together and make some noise!! give old granny a heart-attack knowing that there's some SEX going on :D

A) Old people need to urinate frequently.

B) People who drink beer need to urinate frequently.

You already have "A" in the car.

I say you take on the role of "B".

I say you BMBF some porter or stout into some Pepsi bottles and fill up some Mountain Dew bottles with some APA while you're at it.

Apfelwein just happens to look and pour just like Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

pepperseveninc-xc.jpg

We're talking best bang for the buck as far as volume is concerned. :D

I feel you. I've done a lot of recon up there over the past 10 years and believe me, there's times when I've had to get out of my inlaws house for fear of losing my sanity.

Fortunately for you MI is a kick-ass beer state! There's a reason why the MI Mashers group is by far the largest on here. :D Even a simple trip to the store can pay out as an epic beer run. :rockin:

My worst was 2000. I had to "work" because of all the Y2K hype. Never mind that IT had spend two years getting ready, never mind that the people who forced us to "work" were having a good time, never mind ZERO compensation or time off, never mind that in California we were at the tail end of 20 hours of NO problems anywhere in the world (ok, there was that ATM problem in the UK). We had to be there, "Just in case."

But, I'd rather do that again than spend it with family.

+1 on being "on call" for Y2K. No idea who I was going to be able to help. We did refuse to give out our phone details and made our employers buy us cell phones! :D

This year it's a strong bet I'll post something druck on here. Not much for New Year parties. Sometimes don't even stay up 'til 12. I mean it's just an arbitrary time. Er,....... humbug?

I think you guys are slipping.......

JMull posts a thread titled "New Year's Eve is gonna blow", and not a single dirty minded joke in 32 posts...... sad really

:off: DUDE! You lost your Donkey???? Call out the National Guard. We gotta find that Donkey.

I think that's all it's going to do because they have to sleep in separate beds.
A little midnight snack. ;)

that's super weak. i don't have any special plans for NYE yet. a bunch of friends usually go into the city for some lame-o fireworks and stuff. i may join them or just hang out and drink in oakland somewhere. i'm actually really stoked to have my dad visiting on jan 7th (i bought him a ticket since he's out of work)...he's always down to party, even though he's pushing 60 :)

that's super weak. i don't have any special plans for NYE yet. a bunch of friends usually go into the city for some lame-o fireworks and stuff. i may join them or just hang out and drink in oakland somewhere. i'm actually really stoked to have my dad visiting on jan 7th (i bought him a ticket since he's out of work)...he's always down to party, even though he's pushing 60 :)

Pushing 60 is NOT old! :mad: :D

Back