New with question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justbill

Reaction score
Hello,
Just started messing around with some simple hard cider fermenting. Haven't purchased any equipment. just wanted to see if this was something I wanted to get in to.
I have never brewed before. So I will appreciate everyone's knowledge here.
thx.

I just heard bracc say "send me some perry!" in the voice of Fat Bastard, inside my head... 😆

For the cider, figure out what you want in the end and work your way backwards for the recipe. Don't dismiss what the yeast can do for you either. I'd also say to NOT use plain sugar in the batches unless critical. There's plenty in cider to get you into the 6% ABV range. Both batches I did last year hit about there and were damned good (especially with the spices used). Also, keep it simple.

Last edited:
Yeah, less sugar would be fine with me, for sure.
I'm a simple guy; dont' want a large fermenting production. Thinking about if SHTF, how could I keep myself in a bit of alcohol. Seemed to me that ciders are a great way to do it.
What I've done so far has been without any equipment. I would like to keep it that way. but I want to do it safely.

IMO/IME, once fermented you really don't need to worry about much. Just be sure to bottle when complete. If you're going to bottle carbonate, you'll need to add priming sugar. That's all. Of course, the shelf life of that product could be less than if you use CO2 to carbonate (then bottle). There was a thread started not that long ago where someone pasteurized their carbonated cider bottles and found either low, or no, carbonation after that. Seems the caps didn't seal well enough to deal with the pasteurizing process and released the CO2 that was present.

For the cider I've made, it was simple. Simmer 1/2 gallon with spices. Pour into fermenter (these were done in kegmenters). Pour in the rest of the cider for the batch. Pitch in the yeast and seal up (add spunding valve) and let go until done. I transferred the batches to kegs for carbonating then bottled/canned them (bottles were for taking to a gathering on short notice). Next batch will be done all in conical, including carbonating, then put into 500ml cans. Less transfers means less chance of something going sideways. Also, the batch will be carbonated (fully) in 2-3 days. Not ~2 weeks. :D

What I've done so far has been without any equipment.

for cider, a $3 5 gallon bucket from the hardware store, should be about all you need. maybe some 2 liter bottles if you want carbonation....

it's a great alcoholic drink, and one of the easiest to make.

IMO/IME, once fermented you really don't need to worry about much. Just be sure to bottle when complete.

So if I just want to ferment, put in bottle, then straight to the refrigerator, as long as my cider has been pasteurized, I am safe?
If I want to make from raw fruit, that would be cause for pasteurizing?

If you're going to make your own base cider (not fermented) then yes, pasteurize it. But read up on the methods to do that. Lower temperatures leave MORE good things in the cider than high temperatures. Just needs to be at temperature longer.

IMO, unless you have enough apple trees providing enough fruit, it's really not worth getting the hardware to press them into cider. If you do have enough fruit, each season, then go for it. There's enough orchards in my area where I could get quality base cider when it's time. Besides I don't have any apple trees where I'm living.

Latest posts

Back