New wine maker, question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedL

Reaction score
I am new to wine making and fear I might have already messed up my first batch. I mistakenly used too little sanitizer when preparing my new plastic fermenting bucket and utensils. The package of Easy Clean called for 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, but I misread it and used 1 teaspoon per gallon resulting in a mixture 1/3 the strength of what it should be. My Welches White Grape Peach wine has now been fermenting 36 hours and is moving right along, but I don't know if it is contaminated or not.

What should I be looking for here? If it was going to go bad as a result of my error, would it do it right off the bat? I would appreciate any input, thanks.

I'd bet money that you have will have zero issues. If the bucket was clean (and as you said new) and you used just that little bit of sanitizer, there should be no problems.

And good choice with the white grape peach. That is by far my favorite welches flavor to do. You will really like it.

And be sure you carb it up nice!!! Great recipe, just bottled a variant w/ half white grape peach and white cranberry peach.

Good luck!!!

As they said don't worry sounds like you did fine. I too just bottled a w grape and peach from welchs juice. When I bottled it I back sweetened with one cup sugar for the five gallons then drew off four gallons and mixed a gallon of the w grape and peach juice and bottled. It has been a big hit. Nobody offered to drink the first gallon yet but I bet it is good as well. Good luck with your new hobby it is fun.

I did the same kind if thing with my first batch of Chardonnay and it's come out fine. Just in the middle of making my second batch which is a strawberry wine fingers crossed this comes out just as good.

Back