New vs. Old Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephm

Reaction score
Ok, so I have searched the forum and haven't found anything on this so here it goes........

We are about to start kegging for the first time!! :mug:

We have been told that NEW kegs are the best way to go, that you can still taste the soda pop in the used kegs. Is the extra $$$$ really worth it?

Thanks! :ban:

Depends on YOU.

98% of the keggers here prefer to clean the hell out of a few used keg and replace the rings for what a new keg will cost.

I'm guessing it's the people that are selling you the kegs that are telling you this? :p Just replace the Orings when you get it and the soda will go away if it's still there. It's Stainless, you're not going to have odors hanging around.

And buy "cleaning the hell out of", Gila means of course, soaking in oxi-clean solution, then rinsing. :D

And buy "cleaning the hell out of", Gila means of course, soaking in oxi-clean solution, then rinsing. :D

I was gonna say - if keg cleaning is "cleaning the hell out of" (Soak in hot PBW, bit of a scrub, new o-rings, and done) something, I'd hate to see what he defines as a "light cleaning"!

In answer to the original question, there's really no question. For the price of one new keg, you can snag four used ones, and about half an hour of work will have 'em perfectly usable.

You know me, I am never one to do something simply. PBW > Acid Rinse > Oxalic scrubbed exterior > Gator Grit polish. Then let keg sit in corner for years never to be filled.

+1

Stainless will not take on any "Smells" or "Off flavors"
The bugs hide in the rubber of the seals.

Buy the used ones - Unless you want to pay $75 more per keg for a shine you can do yourself...

Also, replace all 5 o-rings. If you don't mind waiting for an order to show up, I recommend buying the 100 pack o-rings from McMaster - My LHBS charges $6.00 for an o-ring set. McMaster sells enough o-rings to do 50 kegs, for about $5.00 (The big one is a little more $$...)

Part numbers are (Shamelessly copied from BrewBoard)
(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

After that, you're good to go.

Ok, y'all have convinced me....used it is then. Now where can I find a two keg system for a reasonable $$$? :mug:

Suggestions?:ban:

You can save over 75%+ by using/buying used kegs. Some of the kegs I buy I don't even bother replacing the o-rings. If they are in good shape...just use them agian. IMHO, new kegs are not worth the money...

+1

Buy the used ones - Unless you want to pay $75 more per keg for a shine you can do yourself...

Also, replace all 5 o-rings. If you don't mind waiting for an order to show up, I recommend buying the 100 pack o-rings from McMaster - My LHBS charges $6.00 for an o-ring set. McMaster sells enough o-rings to do 50 kegs, for about $5.00 (The big one is a little more $$...)

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24

(2) Post O-Rings
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77

(3) Lid O-Rings
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

After that, you're good to go.

Thank you for the part numbers... you just saved me some cash. Turns out that MidWest Brewing Supplies does NOT replace the dip tube and gas O-Rings on their "fully" refurbished cornies. They only replace the ones you can see.

This is the one I am looking at, do I need to have a regulator for each keg? :mug:

This is the one I am looking at, do I need to have a regulator for each keg? :mug:

Nope - You need a regulator for each pressure
You hook up 50 kegs to that regulator, as long as you want them all the same.

You need a dual body regulator (or a good stack of secondary regs) if you want to serve and carb (If you want to crank the pressure, that is) at the same time, off the same tank - Or serve something like a Hefe and an ale and soda off the same system.

I can add this to the kit for not much $$ and I was thinking it would be worth it, since we tend to have a few types going at the same time :p

Thoughts!? :mug:

p.s. this is a surprise for the hubby......so I really appreciate all the advice! :tank:

I can add this to the kit for not much $$ and I was thinking it would be worth it, since we tend to have a few types going at the same time :p

Thoughts!? :mug:

p.s. this is a surprise for the hubby......so I really appreciate all the advice! :tank:

If you are cheap (like me) you will find that there are times where it is best to shop around and you can get some parts cheaper even after shipping. I just bought a lot of what you are looking at and here is what I ended up with.....

1. dual stainless tower from kegcowboy
2. CO2 tank from kegcowboy
3. dual reg from kegconnection (i liked theirs the best)
4. kegs and replacement rings from morebeer

hose and picnic tap are pretty much the same overall wherever you go. hope this helps!

kegcowboy has cheaper perlick faucets for the non creamer versions (creamer is the same price)

Dont forget some of the disconnects too. I didnt look those up for you but i looked up the big ticket ones :)

Thanks for that! Hey since I am ordering anyways from them anything else I should order? Do they have 3/16" hose to use for kegging too?

+1

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24

(2) Post O-Rings
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77

(3) Lid O-Rings
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50