New use for wort chiller!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

604brewer

Reaction score
Came up with a new use for wort chiller and burner in the backyard for the kid. Wort chiller works as a great pool heater!!!

IMG-20120620-00104.jpg

No worries the kid is napping and the side with the sun on it is hotter, and I don't run any of it when she's in there.

I did that 2 weeks ago with a black 5gal pail, and my wort chiller via Solar Gain. It was crazy hot and Sunny so I threw the black 5 gal bucket out there in the sun for a while and put my chiller in it. Slowly ran water into the pool. It didn't help much, but I've had that plan for a while now.

I actually wanted to build some solar heaters for people as a way to generate some cash flow to support my brewing habit. My part of the country doesn't have the Temps to heat up a good size pool consistantly. But we do have decently sunny days. So I figured a pond pump and black hose inside a black box could circulate and increase temperature over time.

My original pool heater was a submersible pump in the pool feeding a black hose run back and forth across a black piece of plywood, same thing as you, not consistent, wort chiller/heater way quicker.

Excellent idea from my buddy Goodie and adds a fun element to brew day . Cheers

photo.jpg

I'd have to have an awfully big chiller to heat up my inground 16x32, or it would never heat up.

On the other hand, it is a great way to cool the wort without using water from the sink that just ends up going down the drain :D

Good points....living in South Florida I have no problem dealing with pool temperature. Fermenting temps on the other hand require some attention.

Back