New Trick or New to me? Aerate with Recirculating Arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdie

Reaction score
I did my first all grain a couple days ago. I've been super busy the last couple of years and only brewed extract. I was quite the lurker and don't remember ever reading about this. Is this a known way to aerate or am I on to something?

I have a 50 ft. 1/2" immersion chiller with recirculating arm. I keep it in the wort to sanitize for 10 minutes.

After boiling the wort I run my pump and recirculate from drain valve to recirculating arm and turn the water on for my chiller. The moving wort chills faster this way.

Then I take my chiller out and continue to recirculate to create a whirlpool. As I was removing my recirculating arm at 80*F I noticed it created a lot of bubbles and I could use this to aerate the wort for the next five minutes as it created tons of bubbles!

Of course I wasn't ready for this and I had to manually hold it for 5 mins. I have to build something so the recirculating arm is adjustable in height and attached to the keggle for next time.

Usually, I shake a carboy cautiously or get crazy with a plastic.

lurk.png

I use the white plastic mash paddle that comes in all those brewing equipment kits. I cut the end of the handle off and the shaft just barely fits in my drill. While I am running cold water through my immersion chiller I run the drill. Cools quicker and aerates at the same time :rockin:

I use the white plastic mash paddle that comes in all those brewing equipment kits. I cut the end of the handle off and the shaft just barely fits in my drill. While I am running cold water through my immersion chiller I run the drill. Cools quicker and aerates at the same time :rockin:

I thought you shouldn't aerate while wort is hot or even warm (anything greater than 80* F). I believe this is call HSA (Hot Side Aeration). I think it makes the oxygen bond with compounds that will later oxidize producing off flavors.

I whirlpool while the chiller is in but w/o bubbles initially then when the temperatures gets below 80*F I lift the arm out of the water a little to aerate for 5 mins. I believe the oxygen level will gets to 8ppm but I never tested it.

I thought you shouldn't aerate while wort is hot or even warm (anything greater than 80* F). I believe this is call HSA (Hot Side Aeration). I think it makes the oxygen bond with compounds that will later oxidize producing off flavors.

I whirlpool while the chiller is in but w/o bubbles initially then when the temperatures gets below 80*F I lift the arm out of the water a little to aerate for 5 mins. I believe the oxygen level will gets to 8ppm but I never tested it.

Well crap, never knew that was a no no. The few batches that I have done this with seemed fine, but now I plan on slowing down the drill until below 80*.

That's homebrewing dogma. AB forces air through their hot wort while whirlpooling to drive off DMS OR look inside a mash tun with the mash mixer spinning at 150RPM, now there is some aeration.

Well crap, never knew that was a no no. The few batches that I have done this with seemed fine, but now I plan on slowing down the drill until below 80*.

I wouldn't worry about HSA, it's been pretty much busted as far as home brewing myths go

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/475

Back