New toy coming!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I just ordered a barley crusher mill yes yes yes I know its not 3 roller or a monster couldn't swing the finances as a large sum is tied up in fabricating my single tier brew stand... Now where does everyone get their sacks of grain?

Most often people buy the bulk grain from their LHBS as they would get it as part of an order and pay the freight on the load rather than a single item freight. Sometimes the LHBS will look at it as a profit item and charge more than I think they should in which case ordering it online might pay off. I've had a store with only a little brewing supply area special order a sack for me to avoid a large freight bill. Sometimes a club will get together and do a group buy to get the break on shipping.

My club does a group buy a couple times a year. It's rather handy and saves quite a lot of money.

I keep an eye on the major online sellers sales and look for the 20% off deals. Usually cuts my cost over buying from the LHBS and is delivered to my front door. Northern Brewer does this quite a bit.

They are a great mill for the home brewer. I used one for years! I then, when I started Nor Cal Brewing Solutions I used that same mill for a year to crush grain in the store. It was solid! I did wear it out eventually though. I think you will be happy with your purchase! As for grain...Talk to your LHBS (more than likely) they would LOVE to have your business and will work hard to get it and keep it.

Cheers
Jay

My LHBS is a hair cheaper but I still order from Morebeer due to laziness.

I hate to say it, but most of grain comes from online. I have goofy work hours and don't get to local stores during their orders.
I have to admit that I love coming home to my box of goodies from Label Peelers. I think prices are pretty good for grain and they run 30% off deals a few times a year. Shipping not bad due to proximity and many times i get the order next day.

Agree with others - it is a great homebrew mill. I've used mine for years with no problems. Buy in bulk from your LHBS or participate in a group grain buy. Enjoy.

Local brewerys... I have a brewery about a mile from me and im friends with all the guys I bet I could get the owner to order for me... Guess ill ask him and see

At the very bare minimum, get your bulk grains from a local brewery (Base Malts). They most likely will hassle you over small specialty grain orders, however, if that's all you have to order online or at the LHBS, then you're saving big.

I get all my bulk grains at a local brewery. They have silos for a lot of it and totes for a lot of the rest (Crystal, some specialty). I buy very little online anymore this way.

:mug:

Barley crusher rocks for me. My dewalt cordless grabs the input shaft very well. Never slips. I run it less than 500rpm per the mill specs. I don't see this thing Breaking down. It does a great job. I also put a drop or two of vegetable oil on that the bearing or bushing really occasionally. The mill setting was incorrect from the factory as one side was wider than the other. No big deal.

I just bought the 129 dollar generic brand 2-roller mill from Amazon. The one with the blue blastocyst wrapping. The drive shaft broke off the roller after 3lbs of grain, with a small hand held drill at about 180rpm. Going with bc or monster next and hopefully I'll have better luck.

Back