New to the mead world.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dovah

Reaction score
Hello I have been lurking these forums for a while and decided to make an account. I see a lot of talk of "only home made mead is good" and "commercial mead is terrible". I move around a lot so I dont have the time to do such a thing. I was wondering if there is any place I could buy a selection of GOOD mead online. :mug:

If you ask really nice, I'm sure someone near you could even let you taste some of their home made mead.

Personally, I haven't tasted comercial mead. It's very hard to get in Sweden, especially the domestic kind. We only have one meadery, and they sell out fast. Plenty of American, some Danish and more Polish mead.

Hello I have been lurking these forums for a while and decided to make an account. I see a lot of talk of "only home made mead is good" and "commercial mead is terrible". I move around a lot so I dont have the time to do such a thing. I was wondering if there is any place I could buy a selection of GOOD mead online. :mug:

Winter Park huh? I live in MO now but I lived in Apopka. In fact, I'm sitting in Orlando International Airport right now.

Anyway find some local HBT members, i'm sure someone would LOVE to hand you a few bottles. The only thing better than drinking your brew is watching someone else enjoy it.

I have had mead from both Rabbit's Foot Meadery and Maine Mead Works (the lavender mead is really good)
Also there have been good things said about Redstone Meadery but I have not tried their stuff yet
I think the "all commercial mead is bad" thing comes from Chaucer's mead that was a poor excuse for a mead when I had it years ago, tho I have heard that they changed the recipe and they do have some different meads now. Also, I have seen some things labeled as "Meade" that is just white wine sweetened with honey.

Hope this helps
SpamDog

I have had several bottles of Redstone's meads and they were delicious! I had Chaucer's before and all I did was shrug. Redstone ships to several states so you could give their site a try.

Redstone Meadery

I have tried a couple commercial meads, one which was an import though I could not tell you what it was called... It had a bear on the label eating honey. The other was from a local meadery/honey farm.

The imported one was my first adventure into mead and honest turned me off from it for years. When I got to try the mead from Chinook Meadery I was very impressed with the product.

Maybe when trying commercial meads its better to buy from a true meadery, especially one that makes its own honey. Its possible that larger wineries/breweries may be buying cheap bulk honey from who-knows-where for their product. This is just conjecture as I honestly don't know.

Available in your area at Big C Liquors & Shipyard Emporium - Winter Park.

Their Meads.

And where have you hear that nonsensical talk? That might have been the case a decade or more ago, but Mead is the new Craft Beer. Meaderies are springing up all over the place, as are commercial craft cideries, heck even prominent microbreweries such as "Bell's" are releasing meads these days.

Not a fan of Chaucer's either, but it was one of the only one out there at the time, and was the first I tried. There are more options now.
Not to mention plenty of wineries also do meads, cysers and so forth. I'd recommend a winery up here that has about 5 of them, but I don't believe they ship down to Florida yet. I'd go with B. Nektar.

I'm not sure what "larger" wineries consist of, but if you can visit them, and they can say where and when they got their honey, it's a good thing.

Thank you everyone for all the replies. Revvy, I went to the places you suggested and got my self a bottle of Apis Póltorak Jadwiga. I also got chaucers mead a day before that. All I have to say is Apis wins BY FAR. It tastes SO GOOD! It was worth the price!

Latest posts

Back