New to the March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
So I just got a MArch pump and am trying to use it in my brew set up. Is it possible have the pump run dry just for a little bit as i runs the last of my wort out of the kettle and through the chiller. If I try to stop the pump before it gets dry I will probably lose a beer or two in my lines.

You can pump until it stops but dont let it run too long without liquid in the head. You will still trap wort in the line after the pump as it doesn't push air. Brew one extra quart.

So basically once liquid stops coming out of my out hose, turn off the pump?
I won't blow the pump up if its only running for like twenty seconds with no liquid. There seems to be a small difference when liquid is getting sucked through the in and that stops and when the liquid going into my fermenter stops.

If you have good prime in your chiller system, the siphoning action together with gravity will empty the system out. Just shut the pump off before it runs dry.
When that doesn't work, I blow the remaining wort through the hoses, pump and plate chiller into the fermenter. If you use CO2 it's even sanitary.

More importantly than not letting it run dry at the end is making sure there is liquid inside the pump chamber and the supply hoses when you start the pump. I heard the most frightening loud screeching when I plugged it in and the pump wasn't primed thoroughly.

Last edited:
If you have good prime in your chiller system, the siphoning action together with gravity will empty the system out. Just shut the pump off before it runs dry.
When that doesn't work, I blow the remaining wort through the hoses, pump and plate chiller into the fermenter. If you use CO2 it's even sanitary..

I thought I was the only one who did that.

I bought one of these https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/cammfl.htm to allow me to plug that CO2 line directly into the camlock of the hose.

Back