New to mead (concerned with temperature)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Anicito

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm new to mead and concerned about temperature issues. The general consensus I've read is that between 64 and 68 degrees is the sweet spot for fermenting most meads. I made an attempt about two-three years in an apartment that had (unbeknownst to me) unstable temperatures and the resulting vinegar was less than desirable . I'm someone who tends to go overboard with new hobbies before I even know if I'll enjoy them or they'll even pan out. So before I go and spend a lot of money on a temperature controlled set up (that I will want to eventually get) can anyone give me any advice on controlling the temp of my fermentation in an apartment? I just bout a room thermometer to test the temps in a closet I don't really use. I'm thinking the dark closet would be the best with the limited space I have. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

i live in houston texas and we are currently, consistently having 100+ days. i have been using a cooler about 1/3 filled with water and ice packets, rotating daily. kept my last one around 64-68.

Back