New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Me33

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been brewing Biab for 4 years. I finally have a few recipes down that taste great. I'm starting to get tired of bottling and want to try kegging. I have a full fridge that has enough space to convert into a kegerator with a temperature controller.

I have an opportunity to purchase some used equipment. 10 lb co2 tank. Dual regulator, two 5 gallon kegs, one is a corny the other is Spartanburg. Also has the hoses and a picnic tap. Is $200 a fair price for all this in Canada? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

It seems a little high for used equipment to me. I would probably try and offer them a bit less.

200 is probably not a terrible deal either though.

I don't know how Canadian dollars compare, but in American dollars a keg is prob $40-60. CO2 tank is prob $50. Regulator is prob $50 - is it two regulators or one for the tank level?

It's a dual regulator. One for each keg and one for the tank level.

I don't know how Canadian dollars compare, but in American dollars a keg is prob $40-60. CO2 tank is prob $50. Regulator is prob $50 - is it two regulators or one for the tank level?

I agree, I'd say it's a fair deal but offering a little less can't hurt the worst the person selling can say is no.

Two new kegs in Canada usually cost $200 alone so as long as the regulator is in good working order that's a good deal. I just recently built out my system and bought new for everything aside from kegs and it was far more than that with the regulator alone being about $150 if I recall correctly.

Is it the exchange rate, or is stuff just hella more expensive? I know buying used is always cheaper (kegs list for over $100 new, but they're always on sale AND used ones are way cheaper). What steams me is that all kegs are about the same price - 5 gallon, 2.5. 3, etc.

Is it the exchange rate, or is stuff just hella more expensive? I know buying used is always cheaper (kegs list for over $100 new, but they're always on sale AND used ones are way cheaper). What steams me is that all kegs are about the same price - 5 gallon, 2.5. 3, etc.

It must be the exchange rate, CAD $200 = US $150.

Yeah, I know what you mean when you say all kegs are the same price, in fact smaller kegs tend to cost more than 5 gallon ones. Perhaps there's less demand for them, and hence less are being produced leading to a higher retail price.

Exchange and less competition/supply. Exchange makes it worse but even when we were about par a couple years back it was the same higher cost in Canada. Some of those deals seem great from the states even with exchange, then tack on international shipping and it's about the same as most local suppliers higher costs.

Back