New to kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
I am happy to say that I finally made the decision to start kegging my brew. I already purchased my kegerater, link to follow. I was wondering what advice everybody here would have for somebody new to kegging.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/dualkegerator/Kegco_K199SS-2.html

-upgraded to 10 gal CO2 tank
-upgraded to 2 faucet stainless steel perlick tower
-get ball lock couplers with kit
-have 4 ball lock kegs on way
-going to LHBS later to get a way better dual gauge regulator
-this kegerator lets you have your CO2 outside of the system :rockin:

What kind of info are you looking for? The only advice I could give is to use the set and forget method to avoid over carbing your beer. Set it at the co2 pressure you want that will provide the co2 volumes you want in your beer based on keg temp. Also, to avoid foaming issues, go ahead and get yourself 10' of 3/16 beer line. Long and the short of it, this will give you the resistance needed to avoid foaming while giving you perfect pours.

-Consider the rigid beer line if plastic taste is an issue.
-Get a cheap thermometer for inside.
-Keg lube.
-New set of o-rings for all kegs + 1 more for emergencies.
-Consider a y connect with valves at the regulator to a dead end hose and ball connect that can be pulled out from behind the kegerator to pressurize kegs for cleaning, force carbing and prime purging.

I made the switch to kegging last summer when I built my own kegerator. One thing I wish I would have done is get a 10lb CO2 tank instead of 5 lb (good thinking ahead there). Another is to get a dual body regulator right away. Out of 4 taps, I usually have 2 that are brews I'd like to serve at higher carbonation than ales (like lagers, spritzy ciders or sodas).

As far as force carbing, I usually have the beers aging for a while in kegs before putting them on tap, so I get good results with about 100 shakes at 30 PSI, and then a week at the desired pressure, usually 10-12 PSI.

And I'll second brewnewb's suggestion of long enough beer lines. I initially did my setup with 5-6 foot lines and was getting too much foam at the desired serving temperature. I switched to 8-10 foot lines and it's nothing but perfect pours now.

Thanks for all the great tips, I can not wait for my new setup to arrive here so I can start kegging and enjoying my homebrew at a whole new level.

Kegging turned an enjoyable hobby into an EXTREMELY enjoyable hobby. Though, kegging can provide frustrations along the way if you develop leaks and empty co2 tanks for example, but proper processes, you can avoid most things. Kegging is by far the best thing I've done with this hobby....other than building my keezer to have homebrew on tap out of my kitchen.

Back