New to kegging, pressure dropping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemTiger0408

Reaction score
Last night, I set a keg filled completely with water to 30 PSI, disconnected the gas line, and this morning there was very little pressure in the keg when I purged the air.

Details...

I just built my kegerator last weekend and I'm gearing up to transfer my first beer into a keg tonight. In the meantime, I've been sort of playing around with the keg testing everything out and making sure I understand the process. I've probably drained half of my 5 gallon tank just messing around with everything!

Last night I completely rebuilt the keg, filled with water to the top, pressurized to 30 PSI and thoroughly checked for leaks. I did not find any leaks with soapy water sprayed everywhere. I then disconnected the gas line and left it in the kegerator.

This morning, I pulled out the keg and purged the air from the release valve. It released some air, but not nearly as much as I anticipated after pressurizing to 30 PSI the night before. Is this normal or is it possible I have some hidden leak somewhere even though I checked pretty thoroughly and it has all new o-rings?

So since you disconnected your gas, the gas left in the keg found equilibrium. So some of that gas dissolved into the water. Which means you don't have the same pressure in your keg any more. When you start kegging beer you need to leave the gas connected at what ever pressure and temp that will give you your desired carbonation level.

Make sense?

So your keg is most likely fine.

Your water absorbed the CO2. If you are testing your system for leaks leave without using a spray bottle with soapy water leave your keg empty. Water will absorb more CO2 than you will waste filling the tank once with gas. I would use soapy water and a spray bottle and get it over with. Can't hurt to wash the outside of you keg...

So since you disconnected your gas, the gas left in the keg found equilibrium. So some of that gas dissolved into the water. Which means you don't have the same pressure in your keg any more. When you start kegging beer you need to leave the gas connect at what ever pressure and temp that will give you your desired carbonation level.

Make sense?

Absolutely it does. I figured this was the case but wasn't sure. I was surprised that THAT MUCH gas was absorbed into the water over night.

Back