New to kegging, and some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I've just kegged 2 batches for the first time. Stopped by the LHBS and picked up 2 cornies and all the fixins for a keg setup, including a 10# CO2 tank. Sanitized everything, and racked the two batches into the kegs, and purged the oxygen out of the kegs. I just need a little confirmation on my CO2 pressures so I can sleep tonight!

Current CO2 pressure going to both kegs: 30 psi (how long should I leave it at 30?)
Pressure after carbonation: 10psi (45F for kegerator, 6 ft. beer line)

Oh, and how do you all go about cleaning your air lines? Do you connect them to the out post of your keg, and then flush with BLC, Iodophor or some other sanitizer? Since I had the lines taken apart, this was easy to do but now that I have the hardware on I'm wondering what to do next time. Thanks for your help!

Current CO2 pressure going to both kegs: 30 psi (how long should I leave it at 30?)

I've heard two days at 30 psi will do it, but I just leave it at serving pressure for a week or so. If you're really in a hurry you can hook it up at 30 psi and shake the **** out of it for awhile. Some say that the resulting carbolic acid can be tasted in the beer but I've never found it to be a problem. At least it gets you drinking quick.

Pressure after carbonation: 10psi (45F for kegerator, 6 ft. beer line)

Sounds about right. I run 12 psi in 8 feet of line. Remember that the amount of CO2 is dependent on the temperature of the keg.

Oh, and how do you all go about cleaning your air lines? Do you connect them to the out post of your keg, and then flush with BLC, Iodophor or some other sanitizer? Since I had the lines taken apart, this was easy to do but now that I have the hardware on I'm wondering what to do next time. Thanks for your help!

I don't clean my CO2 lines at all. Nothing is going to get in past the pressure and nothing is likely to grow in the dry anaerobic environment anyway.

Thanks fingers! I'll check those kegs tomorrow. I'm eager to start drinking the Blonde Ale, but the Stout I can wait on. It's too damn hot around here to drink more than a pint of stout...bleh.

I don't clean the CO2 lines either but I only started in January. I think I read 30 PSI for around 36 hours and then lower it to serving pressure. Remember carbonation won't make up for green beer taste although I have tapped some early. :)

I don't clean the CO2 lines either but I only started in January. I think I read 30 PSI for around 36 hours and then lower it to serving pressure. Remember carbonation won't make up for green beer taste although I have tapped some early. :)

Man, I hope I can have some self control...however the Blonde Ale is good to go. Had a sample of that tonight and it was good even warm and flat! Decided to dry hop with 1/4 oz of cascades and it's a beautiful thing. That keg is not going to last long. :rockin:

When it's warm and flat, and still delicious, you know you have a good beer on your hands.:tank:

Damn it all! I think I have a leak in my keg setup somewhere. I've got a fresh CO2 tank and it was reading just over 800psi...this morning it's reading 650psi. I may be way off base here, but just carbonating 2 kegs shouldn't be taking that much pressure right?

I assembled all the lines last night, put 30psi in the lines and checked for leaks. It all checked out fine, I used a spray bottle with some soapy water to test it. Then I did the same spray test when I hooked up the air lines to the kegs. So where could all of this CO2 be going?

When the CO2 tank was reading 800psi was it at room temp? Did you then put the CO2 tank in the fridge, where it is now reading 650 psi?

If so, it's because CO2 in a liquid/vapor state has a direct pressure/temperature relationship, as can be seen in the chart below. The pressure will stay the same, at a given temperature, until all the liquid has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure in the tank will drop rapidly.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

When the CO2 tank was reading 800psi was it at room temp? Did you then put the CO2 tank in the fridge, where it is now reading 650 psi?

If so, it's because CO2 in a liquid/vapor state has a direct pressure/temperature relationship, as can be seen in the chart below. The pressure will stay the same, at a given temperature, until all the liquid has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure in the tank will drop rapidly.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Ah, damn...good point. yeah, now the tank is at 42F where it was at probably 90F before I put it in the fridge. Thanks!

You can ignore the high pressure gauge on your regulator for the most part. The physics involved with liquefied, compressed gases makes them virtually useless for determining how much gas remains. The only way to know how much liquid CO2 you have remaining in the tank is to weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight that's stamped on the tank from that. Once the tank is at fridge temp, and you see the pressure start to drop below, say 500 psi, you'll know that you're running on vapor alone and it's time to get it re-filled.

Gotcha, thanks for the info! Another question: are there any substitutes for keg lube? I've got one post or quick disconnect that is a REALLY tight fit. The others just snap right into place no problem, but one post takes a bit of force to get it on there, and it's a pain to get off.

Back