New to Kegging and dunno where to start.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhackedBear

Reaction score
I just recently purchased two used cornie ball lock kegs from some one that used to make the Home sodas. After looking them over they seem to be in fair condition but need a thorough cleaning. Other than that I do not know what I should do? The kegs have been sitting for a couple of years. Should I get new lines? What parts should I replace?

Another question, I am about to throw my first party since home brewing and I would like to use the kegs (of course). I currently have no way of chilling the kegs, so I would like to know what will be the best to cool and serve without spend alot of $$$. I have the two kegs, lines, manifold, 5#co2 tank and picnic taps.:mug::mug:

Grab a couple sets of o-rings (one for the lid, two for the posts, and two for the in and out tubes), give them a thorough cleaning, which may be nothing more than a hot unscented oxyclean soak. You'll need a tube of keg lube but, other than that, sounds like you're all set. Just make sure they hold pressure.

Any time I buy a new used keg (oxymoron?), it gets the full, thorough cleaning treatment. I do the same routine to kegs every few batches. Basically, I disassemble everything and break down all the parts, replace all the o-rings, scrub the posts inside and out with a toothbrush or Q-tip. I have one of those really long wires with the thin pipecleaner-style brush on the tip, for cleaning inside the long liquid pickup tube and short little gas tube.

I fill the keg with hot water and Oxyclean and scrub it with a toilet brush. I then rinse it 2-3 times with plain, clean hot water. I reassemble everything, lubing all O-rings with keg lube. I pour in some Star San, put the lid on, and give it a good shake. Finally, I add a little pressure to the keg (5-10 psi of CO2), hook up a picnic tap line to the liquid out post, and drain some liquid through it in order to ensure the inside of the pickup tube gets sanitized. I then disconnect the beverage line and put the keg in storage until it's needed (pressurized, with StarSan in it).

On kegging day, I just vent the CO2, pop the lid, dump out the Star San, and fill it up.

Note that after I run some Star San through the line with the picnic tap, I run some plain water through the line so that StarSan isn't sitting inside that beverage line for days/weeks, as I worry what it could be doing to the plastic. I use the little 1-gallon hand-pumped pressure sprayer that's described elsewhere on this site.

As for the chilling, your options are:

• Use a jockey box - A camping cooler with a copper coil inside of it. You fill the cooler with ice water, submerging the coils in it. One end of the coil goes out the back (or front, depending on how you intend to serve the beer) of the cooler to a beverage post that connects to the liquid line coming from the keg, the other end of the coil goes out the front of the cooler to a tap from which you pour the beer. When you pour the beer, it goes through the coil in the ice water bath, gets chilled, and by the time it reaches the faucet, should be pretty cold.
  • Submerge the keg in an ice water bath - Get a big plastic garbage pail or something, put the keg in it, and fill the pail with ice water. This will take a while to cool the beer down, and as the beer is served, you'll have to remove some of the ice water or else the keg could float up.
  • Buy a fridge/freezer - Surf Craigslist or Kijiji and find a used fridge/freezer. I've got several, and the most I've paid for any of them was $100.

As for the chilling, your options are:

• Use a jockey box - A camping cooler with a copper coil inside of it. You fill the cooler with ice water, submerging the coils in it. One end of the coil goes out the back (or front, depending on how you intend to serve the beer) of the cooler to a beverage post that connects to the liquid line coming from the keg, the other end of the coil goes out the front of the cooler to a tap from which you pour the beer. When you pour the beer, it goes through the coil in the ice water bath, gets chilled, and by the time it reaches the faucet, should be pretty cold.
  • Submerge the keg in an ice water bath - Get a big plastic garbage pail or something, put the keg in it, and fill the pail with ice water. This will take a while to cool the beer down, and as the beer is served, you'll have to remove some of the ice water or else the keg could float up.
  • Buy a fridge/freezer - Surf Craigslist or Kijiji and find a used fridge/freezer. I've got several, and the most I've paid for any of them was $100.

Thanks for the cleaning tips, sounds like you have a good procedure!

I was looking into a Jockey box but every site states that the keg should be cooled. But, I thought the point of it, is for the coils to cool it before it hits the glass. Plus Jockey boxes seem a lil too much $$$ for what it does. Looks like I can find fridge / freezer and convert it as much as a jockey box costs.

Id use PBW over oxyclean since its stronger. i like to soak my kegs in PBW over night when cleaning them. never need to scrub them with this method but i prob would scrub with the kegs you got.

Yeah, I think I will need to there is a soda cake / film that needs to be taken care of.

Your initial cleaning should always be PBW or oxyclean free no matter what was in them or if they look and smell clean. I just like to start "new". If you know the o-rings are brand new (some retailers sell with new o-rings) make sure all o-rings were changed. I also like to change the dip tube o-ring.

I only take my kegs apart once every so often but I do it when I first buy them. It is also a great idea to have a few sets of new o-rings. I say have at least 2 extra on hand if you have 2 kegs.

Do some research on the "copper coil" holding and dispensing the beer.

There are some concerns due to the acidity of the beer, reacting with the copper.

Guess it would depend on how fast you drank it........:drunk:

I fill the keg with hot water and Oxyclean and scrub it with a toilet brush. I then rinse it 2-3 times with plain, clean hot water.

:eek: New or otherwise, a toilet brush will never enter my kegs!! And even if I rinsed it 100 times I would still never be able to drink from it again.

the only thing i have to add is it is easier / faster to get CO2 to dissolve when the beer is cold. I would look for a used fridge to chill the keg prior to hooking it up to the gas.

I have a large cooler - maybe 55qt - and 2 kegs fit sitting side by side. Obviously with lid open.

Otherwise, a big trash can or anything else you can stick a keg and ice into.

:eek: New or otherwise, a toilet brush will never enter my kegs!! And even if I rinsed it 100 times I would still never be able to drink from it again.

LOL! Well of course it's new, but even then, try not to think of it as a "toilet brush," but rather, "a plastic scrub brush that is the perfect size for cleaning kegs, that also happens to be a good size/shape for cleaning toilets."

You use sponges to clean your equipment, don't you? Would you feel differently if the bag they came in said they were "toilet sponges" rather than just "sponges?" What about OxyClean Free? It's a laundry cleaner. It's intended for cleaning sweaty gym socks. Do you clean your equipment with powder intended for cleaning sweaty gym socks? Eeeeew!

LOL! Well of course it's new, but even then, try not to think of it as a "toilet brush," but rather, "a plastic scrub brush that is the perfect size for cleaning kegs, that also happens to be a good size/shape for cleaning toilets."

You use sponges to clean your equipment, don't you? Would you feel differently if the bag they came in said they were "toilet sponges" rather than just "sponges?" What about OxyClean Free? It's a laundry cleaner. It's intended for cleaning sweaty gym socks. Do you clean your equipment with powder intended for cleaning sweaty gym socks? Eeeeew!

LOL. There's definitely a psychological barrier for me with the toilet brush. I understand your point...but there's nothing that could convince me to use a toilet brush in one of my kegs. First of all there's too many mental images that could be conjured while cleaning my keg with a toilet brush--I don't want any mental connection between a toilet and my beer. Second, I have young kids. All I need is for them to grab my sacred toilet brush and use it to do their toilet chores.....and then return it without me knowing. Not a chance I'm willing to take.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I'm new to kegging and just found it extremely funny to see a toilet brush associated with cleaning a keg...because it NEVER would have crossed my mind.

I just recently purchased two used cornie ball lock kegs from some one that used to make the Home sodas. After looking them over they seem to be in fair condition but need a thorough cleaning. Other than that I do not know what I should do? The kegs have been sitting for a couple of years. Should I get new lines? What parts should I replace?

Another question, I am about to throw my first party since home brewing and I would like to use the kegs (of course). I currently have no way of chilling the kegs, so I would like to know what will be the best to cool and serve without spend alot of $$$. I have the two kegs, lines, manifold, 5#co2 tank and picnic taps.:mug::mug:

OK. I think we have the disassemble them, clean them well, replace the O rings, and reassemble properly (the ball lock posts are not interchangable. Pay attention to which each side was removed from). Also clean and sanatize anything that is going to touch the beer such as the picnic taps and lines if you are going to reuse them.

As for how to serve. Check out craigslist. You can find dorm fridges, upright as well as chest style fridges and freezers, etc at a reasonable rate to make a kegerator, especially when paired up with a STC-1000.
Alternately, you can have some real fun and peruse the DIY section and make yourself a novel serving vessel.

I really like this one. Nothing quite says class like a rolling trash can kegerator.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/trashcan-kegerator-180350/

You can also convert coolers to hold cornies. Or use the standard Tub o' Ice.

Also, something to think about. How are you carbonating your kegs? Force or with priming sugar? Especially when naturally carbonating, but with regular kegging as well, you will get sediment in the bottom of the keg. Make sure you are gentle when moving them or else you can easily mix the sediment back into the beer and make it less pretty.

You ask if you should get new lines. I will suggest that you do. You never know how the old ones were cleaned or how well they were treated. Lines are cheap.

May be a dumb question, very new to kegging, but if using a mini fridge can you keep the co2 tank in the fridge with the keg? or do lines need to be ran out of it somewhere?

May be a dumb question, very new to kegging, but if using a mini fridge can you keep the co2 tank in the fridge with the keg? or do lines need to be ran out of it somewhere?

CO2 tank can stay in the fridge with the kegs.

If it's a steel tank you may want to take some precaution with regards to the bottom of it to keep it from rusting. I have my 5lb tank sitting on an upside down flower pot tray with drain holes to handle condensation until I finish my keezer build; don't sweat it though, the rusting process takes a long time.

The only stupid question is the question you don't ask.

You can do either. Do what is convenient and works. With mini fridges do take a tape measure with you. Many of them have an anoyingly large hump that makes it hard to fit kegs in there. Measure your kegs (with QD's attached) for the height and check to make sure they will fit before you buy. And wether or not you put the tank in the fridge, you will get the same amount of dispensing so it really does not matter. Not to mention that the high pressure gauge is practically worthless as it will only tell you full or empty and not how full the co2 tank is.

Back