New to Kegging Advice on Kezzer setup wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackhead7

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and I am slowing putting together my set up. I outlined the following from other members build threads and researching different pieces. I was hoping to get some opinions about some of the parts. My main goal is to be flexible and to expand and/or change as I grow into brewing more. I currently brew 10gal batches hence the move to kegging. I think part of the problem is that there are too many choices.

I bought a 7.4 Cu Ft Frigidaire chest freezer
I plan on using the STC-1000 temp controller and a collar.
I sourced a 20lb co2 tank for $50
I have 8 5gal ball lock kegs.

Question 1: I'm looking at buying a MicroMatic Dual body premium regulator $120. One line going to two way manifold for force carbing and the other going to a 4 way manifold for serivce. Does it warrent the expense for the Dual body regulator or should I consider a single w/ secondary regulators instead of manifolds or an economy model such as those from Keg connection?

Question 2: I was considering Push to connect fittings for the gas side and constructing my own manifold instead of going with barbed fittings and maniflods listed above as shown in this DIY project. Has anyone done this is it worth the effort?

if going with barbed fittings I was going to use this:
beer line 10 ft lenghts to start with
gas line
4 faucets
shanks

I was doing the math and the cost of this project is soaring I was thinking that savings from regulatos and manifolds would make the most impact but I don't want to regret it later and end up buying twice. Any thougts along these lines would be helpful. Thanks!!!

:mug::ban::tank:

thanks for the suggestion on the shanks! I went ahead an ordered those saved me a few bucks!

For the regulator, I'd go with a dual regulator more for serving at two different carb levels. Serving each beer at the same pressure doesn't always work out ... some will foam like nuts while others may seem under-carbed. This is the only reason I regret not getting a dual regulator, as a cup full of foam is quite a tease.

Force carbing at normal serving pressure and temp takes roughly one week. You can plan a bit ahead and go without running one faucet for a week (or just swap gas lines at serving time) in order to carb up what you have waiting on deck.

Good luck!

You'd have to look at costs but you could also get away with a single primary. "Y" that to a single secondary and add your manifold there. The other part of the "Y" could be used to force/burst carb. Put check valves in place.
That would allow you to add another secondary down the line if you wanted to. At some point you will want the ability to serve at two pressures depending on the beer style.
I was lucky in that I scored a 4-part secondary, used, pretty cheap.
Try to think out what kind of setup you ultimately want. I can hold up to 10 kegs so I'm starting with a single primary and the 4-part secondary. I can manifold off of that as needed. 4 is probably overkill but I wanted at least 2 (hi/low serving) and the 3rd can be used for burst/force carbing.

I really want the most versitility but it seems that you could go either way with this. I had the money that i have been saving for about a year now so ultimatley i think Im going to go ahead and go with the dual body regulator. Patience isn't always a virtue of mine however brewing is helping with that. I would rather spend the money up front as I always hear around here "buy cheap, buy twice". I think that I will be satisfied with my decision i figure this is one area to spend a little more. i appreciate all the feed back. really there are just to many options!!

Back