New to home brewing. Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonfig56

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm brand new to home brewing and have zero experience here so apologies for the length of this beforehand.I got the big mouth bubbler deluxe kit from northern brewer for Xmas. I just got around to brewing the Irish red ale on Friday. It's sitting in my room around 68 degrees with a black tshirt on it. I'm 2 days into the primary fermentation and as far as I can tell I've done everything right. After about 8 hours the airlock was going crazy and it had about a 2 inch head of krassuen(Is that right?)The following morning and through the day and now 2 days into fermentation the airlock bubbles every few minutes and the head is almost non existent other then a film around the side. It can't be done fermenting already can it? I'm just being overly sensitive but I just wanted to make sure and get some feed back to learn. Please and thank you. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424047184.548422.jpg

Looks fine to me. Give it some time for the yeast to finish and clean up and I'm sure it will turn out great.
It's common for activity to be really high at the beginning of fermentation and then die down a little. This does not mean it is done fermenting however.

Like Logan said. Let it continue fermenting. The first 3-4 days is the most active. After about 7 days the yeast starts to clean up things. I let all of my batches sit for a minimum of 3 weeks in the primary now. The result of that has been cleaner, better beers. The longest so far I have let a batch sit in primary was 8 weeks. I have one right now at 6+ that I will bottle this week.

Having a clear fermenting vessel is torture for a new home brewer. Just sitting there begging to be bottled and drank :):mug:

Welcome to home brewing...... I would not worry just let the yeast it do it's thing. After reading here I now leave for at least 2 weeks in fermenter. Then start checking the gravity until it stays the same over a couple of days. Being new myself I also know it is hard to just wait. But that advice seems to work well. :mug:

Cheers

Was it 68 f or lower when you pitched the yeast? What yeast is it?

As mentioned, probably normally but made more vigorous by the strain or pitching temp. Fermentation is exothermic for the first 2-5 days making the problem worse.

Danstar nottingham dry yeast.. It was some where right around that according to the fermometer

I agree with all that has been said. Be patient and let fermentation go a good 2 weeks, if you can wait that long. You can never fully trust your airlock. The only way to find out if it's done fermenting is by doing a gravity test with your hydrometer. Welcome to homebrewing, you'll be hooked forever.

Thanks everyone Ya I think I already am I just brewed by first run on Friday and I just bought another 2 recipe kits yesterday lol

Back