New to home-brewing and eBrewing. Dented Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac7

Reaction score
Hello there. Purchased the 10 Gallon eBrewing 3V kit W/ RIMS from SS Brewtech. I love good beer and I needed to find a new methodical hobby and way to channel my love for beer into this, just like most of you. So I dove right in and got the killer set up. When I went to unpack the Mash Tun, it had a solid dent in the side. Its double walled of course, and it isn't pierced on the outside. I'm pretty hot about my expensive investment having a dent, but I can deal with cosmetic if that's all it is, because this is for me in my own domain. I waited over a month to receive it as they were out of the 10 gallon set up for a while. With electric work complete, I was ready to start brewing this weekend. Perspective?

Unfortunately, your beer will all taste "dented" if you use the mash tun.. No one likes a dented beer even if everything else about it tastes great. If you start entering contests, you don't want all the BJCP's to check the "dented" box on all of your submissions (unless you've entered it in the "dented" category of beers.

No, the dent won't affect your beer, but if you buy a new product, you should get new product. If you bought it new, I would seek replacement as soon as possible even if you have to wait a little longer. You never want to spend that kind of money and then be disappointed every time you look at it. In addition, only YOU are allowed to dent your own mash tun, not the manufacturer or shipper!

I agree, dented beer is never as tasty as undented beer...i spent years making dented beer...i don't think ive fully recovered...:p

Anyhoo, i would get right on the horn with getting a replacement or at the very least money back for the damaged goods. Make sure to play the "I've spent X amount of dollars on your product and trusted it would come as advertised," card.

+1 for sending it back. If there are any delays in getting you a new product, a good company would allow you to use the damaged product until they can get you a new one.

a good company would allow you to use the damaged product until they can get you a new one.

That I don't necessarily agree with. They shouldn't have to take a complete loss based on the delivery service not taking care of the product/they not properly packaging.

I would contact them and have a conversation. They might be able to help you out and go for insurance on the shipping, they might be able help with just replacing the pot if that's all that is damaged. Let them know you are anxious to brew..

Document what's wrong. Pics help. Be clear about what is wrong and what you hope to achieve with the conversation. If you get on the call and they let you know the call is being recorded, ask for a call #. Ask for and use the name of the person you are speaking to. Document the call in case you need to refer to it later. Sometimes it helps to ask if the person you are speaking to can get you to the resolution you seek, if the answer is no, ask to speak to someone who can.

I've always told my kids, "If you go into (anything) looking for a fight, you are going to find one. If you start reasonably, sometimes you will still find a fight, but sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised."

*Edit* if you do brew with it, you will need to send proof to some here that dented beer can be just as good as long as you pair it with dented pretzels. I suggest sending copious amounts of both as proof.

That I don't necessarily agree with. They shouldn't have to take a complete loss based on the delivery service not taking care of the product/they not properly packaging.
How is that a complete loss? If there is a 1 month delay, should he not be able to use the damaged one until the can replace it with a new one? Then the damaged one gets sent back. I’ve heard of spike brewing doing that several times and that is good customer service.
Also, your assuming it was the carrier. Was the box damaged?

How is that a complete loss? If there is a 1 month delay, should he not be able to use the damaged one until the can replace it with a new one? Then the damaged one gets sent back. I’ve heard of spike brewing doing that several times and that is good customer service.
Also, your assuming it was the carrier. Was the box damaged?

How are you going to sell a used product? Especially when you dont know how it was used/cleaned/stored?

Same reason why shoe retailers don't take sneaker/shoe returns if their used. 1. Nobody wants to wear used shoes and 2. Its a health risk.

Especially in the food production industry which brewery product producers are you're not going to be able to sell the product once its been used, therefore its a complete loss once the customer uses the product and then returns it.

For Spike it might make sense to do that considering the cost of steel is so cheap but for a homebrew shop or other retailer it would be a complete loss once used and returned.

How are you going to sell a used product? Especially when you dont know how it was used/cleaned/stored?

Same reason why shoe retailers don't take sneaker/shoe returns if their used. 1. Nobody wants to wear used shoes and 2. Its a health risk.

Especially in the food production industry which brewery product producers are you're not going to be able to sell the product once its been used, therefore its a complete loss once the customer uses the product and then returns it.

For Spike it might make sense to do that considering the cost of steel is so cheap but for a homebrew shop or other retailer it would be a complete loss once used and returned.

Used? It’s allegedly got a large enough dent in the side of it to where someone doesn’t want it? That, and what is a retailer supposed to take it on the customers word that they didn’t do something to it if thats a concern?

Used? It’s allegedly got a large enough dent in the side of it to where someone doesn’t want it? That, and what is a retailer supposed to take it on the customers word that they didn’t do something to it if thats a concern?

Retailers create their own return policies...so when a purchase is made both they and the consumer understand the terms of the sale. So yes, a retailer can deny a return of an item.

Do some consumers not like these policies absolutely...but the end goal of the return policy is to limit the loss of the retailers.

I have no doubt that the OP will get a replacement for his damaged product I even stated as much and gave some key verbiage to help in the process in my original reply. But to say that he should be able to use the product and then return it the retailer isnt going to sell that product again once its used...so like I said previously it would be a total loss on their part which I don't agree that they have to do

Also, as i said previously if Spike says he can use it...it probably fits within their loss budget because of how cheap steel is. Other retailers may not be able to accommodate such a request because the loss would hurt the bottom line.

Yes send it back - My 3v came with missing welds/rivets on the handles (ironically exactly where the "inspected by" sticker was) so the handle pinged off unpacking it. Sent an email and the replacement was sent out to me within a few days so it was a relatively painless process. Mailed back the broken one after getting a replacement with pre-paid UPS label they provided.

Back