New to Growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
I just ordered a Centennial and a Cascade actual hop plant from highhops. This will be my first time ever trying to grow hops. I got the actual hop plants due to that it is a little later in the planting season and wanted them to take a good start.

Anyways, I was wondering if I should plant them in large planting pots, or go ahead and plant them in the ground? We have a garden so I have room for them, I just didn't know if it was better to put them in pots or not.

Also, when it comes towards the winter time (I live in Northwest Ohio) do you dig them up and store them for the winter in bags, put them in pots and move them inside, or simply leave them outside for the winter?

Sorry for all the questions, I just went ahead and ordered them due to the fact of being so excited to try to grow my own.

Thanks for any help,

Dakota :mug:

If you have a place in the ground to put them, I'd recommend that route. Pots/planters require a little more attention to watering during dry seasons plus they can grow uninhibited (less stress) when planted in Mother Earth. When the cold weather comes, the Earth will maintain soil temperature a lot longer than something that's above ground which will buy you a lot more time for root growth after the vines die back. I've had good success with plantings as late as late June. Hop to It!

Sounds like planting them in the ground is the way to go then. I hope that planting this late will still be ok on the plants, I will have to post some pictures on here to keep everyone posted.

As for the winter, do you remove the plant and store it in the house? Or would you simply trim it and leave it in the ground for the winter season, and let it start back up where it was in the spring?

Thanks for your help!

I have a few in those large party "keg" tubs... I plan on replanting next year into the ground. My chinook that is in a pot is nearly 10' and its a first year plant.

Latest posts

Back