New to Gainesville FL, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just moved (back) to gainesville (so technically i'm not new, just born again i guess). I already joined up with the local club and am curious if there is anyone on here who is not affiliated with the hogtown brewers that might have some suggestions for dives or bars to check out?

I am already familiar with swamphead of course, and I live a block away from aleworks (which is awesome, my last house had a non-local HBS :ban:)

Cheers guys and gals

Hey man, not sure about the bar scene as I don't venture to them often.
Welcome back to Gville tho!

You've got the beer bars House of Beer (40 taps) and Stubbies (24 taps). The Top is a bar/restaurant that has a very good tap list. Then there's Tall Paul's, which is also a nanobrewery. Sometimes you have to pay a cover there and it gets very loud. All of these are downtown within walking distance of each other.

World of Beer in Tioga is also good, but gets very loud because they always have music blasting.

Everyone pretty much covered the major points-

-gainesville house of beers- edge of downtown gainesville. 40 taps plus bottles. Good prices. Many tvs and chill atmosphere.. Do special nights like hospitality night (half of drafts for hosp people's), Hob appreciation night (half off drafts if you wear their clothing), tap takeover nights (several taps of a featured brewery, or one or two rare kegs on tap, or a theme like "Florida local beers").Typically always glassware giveaway with every beer purchased, ad sometimes other swag. Trivia night, cider/fruit beer night, etc. it's my most frequented place.

-brass tap- another smaller craft beer bar chain similar to HOB- new to the game- gainesville location opened late feb/march i believe. Located near butler plaza on archer rd. They have 60 taps, and many bottles. Their draft list often has be debating between 10 or so quality options- very impressive. They also do weekly special nights like college night, Sunday select reduced drafts, ladies night, etc. also have occasional tap takeovers. Feature music many nights after 9pm, which can get loud. Great, clean atmosphere inside. Lots of tvs.

-stubbies- don't frequent here a lot, a gainesville staple though. 400+ beers. Right next to HOB. I think their draft list is 20+ Beers. Big feature is a lot of non-USA craft. Also have great food.

-Tall Paul's- a year or so old. 20 or so drafts and minimal bottles. Typically 5-7 of those are their own beers, as they are a nanobrewery. Several of their brews have impressed me. Located centrally in downtown. Their main fault is if you are lookin for a more quiet, laid back place on a weekend night, this is not it. It often gets shoulder to shoulder with people even with their big space, as they cater more to the masses than strictly craft beer drinkers. For example, they expanded to liquor recently, they have bands at night, they have fun games like table shuffleboard, darts,, skeeball, life size connect 4. They also have cover some nights. Lots if tvs and a large projector. Depending when you go there and the mood youre in, the experience can be great. To me, it's more of a 'out to have a good time with a larger group of friends on the weekend' place. I have a great time every time I go, it's just not your typical tap house

-world of beer in town of tioga opened a few weeks back. Never been since its out of the way, but all the WoB I've been to are good. Like 30-40 taps and tons of bottles. Also do a lot of special nights

Other locations that feature more than 5 taps- The Top, Looseys, salty dog...sure I'm forgetting some. Don't go to them all that often, but enjoy them. Top has amazing food and a great selection of brews tho.

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to check them out. Especially now as a member of hog town and 10 percent off at house of beers! Sweet!

Back