New homebrewer in SoCal!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molson1993

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just joined the other night after I was in dire need of assistance due to me messing up pretty bad on my first batch by fermenting at a stable 78F-80F while trying to do a Kolsch (oops)! Due to the good nature of this wonderful community I may have saved this batch, it won't be a kolsch which I came to realize is a harder beer to brew especially for a first batch so it most likely won't taste like a kolsch, but you learn from your mistakes right? With that being said, the community guided me into a direction of better fermentation control so now i'm in the process of building my first fermentation chamber especially after scoring on a mini fridge for $20!

So more about myself, my name is Matt (23) born and raised here in SoCal, the high desert more specifically and just recently got into homebrewing after one night at a brewery I normally visit and ended up seeing a advertisement for a local homebrew shop which sparked my interest, so I asked the bartender who happens to be the brewer some questions. He ended up making more then interested in brewing and found myself at the shop the very next day, spent about 2hours asking every question I could possibly think of and settled for a kit for around $180 to get me started. So now here I am, week 1 into my first batch and already found a great community to be a part of! :mug:

Welcome to the obsession... errr hobby, yes that's it, hobby!

For us here in So Cal, the biggest thing is temperature control. My fermentation chamber is a bit bigger than a mini-fridge, but I would be lost without it.

Welcome to the obsession... errr hobby, yes that's it, hobby!

For us here in So Cal, the biggest thing is temperature control. My fermentation chamber is a bit bigger than a mini-fridge, but I would be lost without it.

I found that out quite fast! Lol! I got one that's pretty tall and will build an extended 2 layer shelf like thing that the fridge will cool, my goal is to be able to be fully fermenting 2 batches at once, assuming everything is full.

I found that out quite fast! Lol! I got one that's pretty tall and will build an extended 2 layer shelf like thing that the fridge will cool, my goal is to be able to be fully fermenting 2 batches at once, assuming everything is full.

Mine is a rather large chamber chilled with a window A/C unit. If I really pushed it, I think I can have 50 gallons fermenting at a time (more if I buy bigger fermenters). I haven't filled it with fermenters (yet), usually 4 or 5 batches (I do meads and ciders too), 2 small barrels for aging and sometimes keg overflow (my keezer holds 4 and the spare fridge holds 5). :rockin:

Mine is a rather large chamber chilled with a window A/C unit. If I really pushed it, I think I can have 50 gallons fermenting at a time (more if I buy bigger fermenters). I haven't filled it with fermenters (yet), usually 4 or 5 batches (I do meads and ciders too), 2 small barrels for aging and sometimes keg overflow (my keezer holds 4 and the spare fridge holds 5). :rockin:

Wow, looks like I have some future goals once I make the room lol!

Hello everyone, I just joined the other night after I was in dire need of assistance due to me messing up pretty bad on my first batch by fermenting at a stable 78F-80F while trying to do a Kolsch (oops)! Due to the good nature of this wonderful community I may have saved this batch, it won't be a kolsch which I came to realize is a harder beer to brew especially for a first batch so it most likely won't taste like a kolsch, but you learn from your mistakes right? With that being said, the community guided me into a direction of better fermentation control so now i'm in the process of building my first fermentation chamber especially after scoring on a mini fridge for $20!

So more about myself, my name is Matt (23) born and raised here in SoCal, the high desert more specifically and just recently got into homebrewing after one night at a brewery I normally visit and ended up seeing a advertisement for a local homebrew shop which sparked my interest, so I asked the bartender who happens to be the brewer some questions. He ended up making more then interested in brewing and found myself at the shop the very next day, spent about 2hours asking every question I could possibly think of and settled for a kit for around $180 to get me started. So now here I am, week 1 into my first batch and already found a great community to be a part of! :mug:

A belated welcome from sunny FL. Glad to have you onboard Matt.

Back