New to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBCPL

Reaction score
Hey all....Im new to the whole homebrewing thing, but after months of reading here I have decided to start out with a cider, I plan next weekend on visiting my local homebrew store. I was wondering out of the many types of ale yeast they have available ( http://site.iwebcenters.com/houseofhomebrew/Store_c67692.html ) which would be the best to buy for my first batch for allowing for the highest ABV but allowing for the fruity flavor to shine thru as well?

Thanks in advance

~GB~

I have read on here and other places too that the more ABV that you have the less apple flavor you will have. Juice will have an OG of about 1.050, this will give you about 6.57 ABV. Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast or Coopers Ale Yeast would be my pick. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for an ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor.(Nottingham)

Coopers Ale Yeast is a fast-attenuating yeast which produces a balanced flavor profile and has strong flocculation characteristics. Under normal fermentation conditions its use will result in a clean, rounded flavor profile comparable to commercially produced beers.

But if you want a high ABV i would go with a champagne yeast and up the OG by adding more sugar or juice concentrate.

I could be wrong about this so wait for someone else to add there two cents.

Remember, most of what you are tasting in apple juice is the sugar. Any dried ale yeast will work fine for straight cider, but you'll have a dry cider regardless. Since there is nothing to balance the alcohol, boosting the ABV makes for harsh ciders that take a long time to age.

So would you reccommend a different yeast altogether? I dont want something harsh and not drinkable. My local HBS has a decent selection of yeasts and nutrients available for me to choose from.

~GB~

Its the ABV thats going to make it harsh not the yeast. Less ABV, less harsh. With that said, the higher the ABV the more time that it will need to age and mellow out. Over time it will become more user friendly.

I just finished a batch and this is what I did...
5.5 gal juice
4 12 oz cans concentrate
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp high alcohol yeast nutrient
10 grams champagne yeast
OG 1.060 7.91 ABV (Pro Mash)

with this high of an ABV it will need some time to sit, from what ive read you need about 1 week for every % of ABV

Any clean Ale yeast will work, if its too dry for you then just back sweeten with lactose to taste.:)

I appreciate the help...i think i am going to use this recipe......but any ideas on scaling it back to make 5 gallons? my "carboys" are 5 gallons.

Thanks
:rockin: ~GB~:tank:

Keep in mind that this is only my second cider. Ok what I did was put all my juice into a pot and took an OG (1.050) then added the concentrate to get it up to 1.060. With my concentrate each can added about .002 to the OG.

GBCPL said:
I appreciate the help...i think i am going to use this recipe......but any ideas on scaling it back to make 5 gallons? my "carboys" are 5 gallons.

Thanks
:rockin: ~GB~:tank:

Make sure you make a small batch. I am in the process of making a 4 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy and it has been coming out the airlock. Cider, esp when it has a lot of sugar, goes crazy and foams all over the place. Don't know hot to post a picture. I would only make 3 gal in a 5 gal carboy.

i would suggest about 4 gallons juice.. or maybe even 3.5 gallons and then add the concentrate...dont wanna mess up and not have any head space thats for sure..

im not sure what we did before we had 6.5 gallon carboys..im pretty spoiled!

Thanks guys,

Id like to get 6.5 gallon better bottle carboys......but just starting out my budget is limited as of yet....so i am making due with those blue water jugs for carboys...im hoping those are good enuff to make a decent cider. If not i guess it'll make for a cool bottle bomb or something, either way itll be a good excuse to have a whiskey and see what happens!!!

:cross:

~GB~

Back